MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Cooking for a fundraiser...any idea on how much?

So the guys at the firehouse nominated me to do the cooking for a fundraiser they are running end of January.

The theme is that it'll be $30/person and you get to eat and drink all you want. Cocktail waitresses, televised sporting events, card games, etc. Basically it's a giant guys night out.

Anyway, they know I dabble in BBQ and even compete sometimes so they chose me. I want to live up to the expectations but I've never cooked for a large crowd before.

Brisket or pulle dpork seems like a no brainer. Ribs are my specialty so I'd like to have that in the mix. My buddy and I have been dying to try a beef clod but never could justify the expense because we never had enough mouths to feed. This might be a good chance to try that.
Factor in assorted sides and I really have no idea how much I need to buy. The guy running it asked if $300 would cover the costs. I said I thought it might but I really have no idea.

Can anyone give me an idea on how much I should be buying, what it would cost, and what I might be forgetting about?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

How many people?

All you can eat and drink for $30.00. Unless EVERYTHING is donated and I mean EVERYTHING right down to the plastic silverware I can't see how you can make any money.

I don't drink alcohol and I could eat enough BBQ and drink enough soda to make you loose money on my $30.00 Is there another money making aspect to this?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba

Um.....how many people would help?
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh yeah...50 people was what we were thinking.

The beer is all being donated.

The food and the waitresses are the only real costs we're banking on at the moment.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
How many people?

All you can eat and drink for $30.00. Unless EVERYTHING is donated and I mean EVERYTHING right down to the plastic silverware I can't see how you can make any money.

I don't drink alcohol and I could eat enough BBQ and drink enough soda to make you loose money on my $30.00 Is there another money making aspect to this?
maybe we shouldn't bill it as "all you can eat" ?

We were just going to put food out and let people have at it. In case of emergency we could order pizzas later in the night but I guess I'd like to avoid that. We aren't looking to challenge anyone's eating capacity so words like all you can eat are probably best avoided! ;-)
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
How many people?

Just needs a porta potty close for the all night up and down...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanator View Post
maybe we shouldn't bill it as "all you can eat" ?

We were just going to put food out and let people have at it. In case of emergency we could order pizzas later in the night but I guess I'd like to avoid that. We aren't looking to challenge anyone's eating capacity so words like all you can eat are probably best avoided! ;-)
If you have to order pizza you will lose money.

And the first thing you need to do is look at liability insurance for an "all you can drink" event...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
If you have to order pizza you will lose money.

And the first thing you need to do is look at liability insurance for an "all you can drink" event...
hopefully as a result of this thread I'll have a good idea of what kind/amount of food I'll need to buy/cook so we won't need to resort to the pizza.

Regarding the insurance...I'll let someone else worry about that. I'm just trying to focus on cooking. I know they have events all the time where they serve beer so they may already have something in place for that for all I know.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

As much fun as this sounds, you need to be careful. Liability insurance is a must and a special event liquor license may also be in order. You may want to change the format to be something like you get three drink tickets included in the $30 and additional tickets are available for $X each. If ribs are in the mix, there needs to be a limit on them, as well. 50 racks of ribs will exceed your budget right there. I think you should be thinking about a bare minimum of one pound of finished product per person. A hundred or so pounds of raw butts and brisket, rubs, charcoal and other supplies will likely put you well past the budget as well. Proceed with extreme caution and best of luck!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
landarc

For what you are describing, $30 is not enough. If you go to drink tickets that could help. I agree that 1lb of finished meat product is a good start. It is amazing how much meat disappears if it is set price, all you can eat. I would skip the ribs and do pulled pork and pulled chuck or a clod. Although I get nervous trying new things out with no plan B.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote