MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Lamb is actually quite Chinese. There is an entire cuisine in China based upon lamb. Sichuan cuisine is also brilliant with lamb. I like the pork for this, and smoked at that, as the cucumber recipe will go well with pork.

That being said, I make similar cucumber pickles all the time, and they go well with turkey, chicken and lamb. Not so much beef.
What do you know about Asian cuisine you grew up in Richmond. But I digress...

I'm leaning towards pork....

Now what about a "secret" sauce?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
Julienne it, fry and add it in the manner the strips of julienne pickled daikon and carrot would be added in a traditional banh-mi?
Excellent.

This would work with the pickles this thread started with.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
BBQ Grail

Pork blend?

80% pork loin
20% pork belly

Email me for details.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

The blend sounds about right. The risk is in it being too salty and possibly too greasy if there's too much pork belly in the burger. Remember, in a banh-mi, there's a lot more veg than meat by volume to balance out that fatty pork.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
landarc

I would do a tenderloin, some pork shoulder and a little bacon for the meat blend. You could sneak a little bit of lamb in there, it creates amazing complexity when combined with pork.

When I do Banh Mi, I use julienned carrots, daikon and cucumber, but, very similar recipe as you started this thread with.

For the sauce, find some Yuzu citrus, and some Sudachi, combine the zest and juice in a mortar and pestle, or just grate it together, then mix it into mayonnaise. You could add some sriracha, or chile oil, and that would make a great compound mayonnaise.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Man I'm hungry now.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I would do a tenderloin, some pork shoulder and a little bacon for the meat blend. You could sneak a little bit of lamb in there, it creates amazing complexity when combined with pork.

When I do Banh Mi, I use julienned carrots, daikon and cucumber, but, very similar recipe as you started this thread with.

For the sauce, find some Yuzu citrus, and some Sudachi, combine the zest and juice in a mortar and pestle, or just grate it together, then mix it into mayonnaise. You could add some sriracha, or chile oil, and that would make a great compound mayonnaise.
We've done a 50/50 ground lamb and pork mixture before. It was absolutely killer. I can't remember how we spiced it though. I do remember celery salt, black pepper and some fresh sage were in the mix.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
The blend sounds about right. The risk is in it being too salty and possibly too greasy if there's too much pork belly in the burger. Remember, in a banh-mi, there's a lot more veg than meat by volume to balance out that fatty pork.
Where is the salt going to come from? It's a burger so most of the fat will render out on the grill.

Email me for details.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Where is the salt going to come from? It's a burger so most of the fat will render out on the grill.
My bad, assumed pre-cured pork belly.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I like the mayo idea. Use the Japanese mayo and apply while on the grill. I might even be tempted to torch it a little for effect. Citrus (yuzu) likes the scorch. IMHO

The melded (not melted) mayo into the succulent pork might be bangin. The patty, with the mayo (egg), and the diced pickles (conichorn) on top might conjure images of tartar when you take a bite.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burger, landarc, ponzu