MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Default Grease Fire in the UDS

HOLY BUCKETS!!!

I cooked a spatchcocked chicken, some thighs and a naked fatty this weekend. I left it run a couple of hours without paying attention to it and the temp ran up on me to about 375 for some time. I went out to check on it and say the thighs and fatty were really dark and the internal was about 195... little high I know, but I am glad it was not more expensive meat.

When the top was off it starte to flame up, while pulling the meat off the fire started to grow. Once the meat was off I let the fire burn and it raged for about an hour or so. Ended up burning all the grease off the inside of the barrel. Probably a good thing to do everyonce in a while, but I have some scraping left to do prior to the next cook.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't experienced that yet...

Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep. If you casually pop open a beer right after it gets going, that is a classic controlled cleaning right there.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Do you not put a tray on a second grate underneath the cooking grate so that it can catch dripping? This way the fat rendering doesn't drip directly onto the coal or onto the diffuser above the coals.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Skidder
Babbling Farker

This is when I use a water bowl. Especially when doing chix and ABTs or anything else bacon related. Don't ask how I know.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Do you not put a tray on a second grate underneath the cooking grate so that it can catch dripping? This way the fat rendering doesn't drip directly onto the coal or onto the diffuser above the coals.
No, I might in the future...

I have heard one of the great features of the UDS is when the grease falls into the fire and "flavorizes" the meat. It has worked great until I put 4 racks of ribs around the outside of the barrel and the drippings fell outside of the fire and the grease caught fire then. I smothered it then, but I should have let it burn at that time.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

You might want to close down the bottom inlets for 5 min before you pop the lid, it helps when cooking HnF.