• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

question on traveling pork butt

Ken V

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am planning on putting a butt on early Friday morning and then heading a couple hours away. Was wondering the best way to travel with it....should I wrap whole after getting to temp and then pull when I get there or should I pull at home and pack it away for travelin?

Thanks,

Ken

I would foil wrap it and pack it in the cooler with towels once it got to 195-200 and pull it when I got there!

Preheat the cooler with very hot water, half an hour before you load up your double foiled meat wrapped in a big thick towel.
Dump the water, wipe out the cooler with a second towel until dry.
If you follow the above advice, your good to go.
Pull the after allowing it to rest outside the cooler..........give it 30 minutes rest, then tear into it. save the juice from the double foil and add to the pulled meat.
We would like a report on your sucess.
Pics would be great.

I am planning on putting a butt on early Friday morning and then heading a couple hours away. Was wondering the best way to travel with it....should I wrap whole after getting to temp and then pull when I get there or should I pull at home and pack it away for travelin?

Thanks,

Ken

Stuff the cooler full of old blankets or towels, mostly on the top, no air space. That Butt will be fine for several hours. It will probably even pull better.

For a 2 hour trip, that's just a good resting time for the butt. Wrap, and cooler like was said and you should be good to go.

Yep...what they all said. Mine normally spends at least that much time in a cooler cause i always give myself more time than in NORMALLY needed. But that is much better than hungry people standing around waiting.

Thanks alot....I figured it would be good to wrap up and pull when we get there.

Ken

I pulled one before travel last week. Next time I'll haul it in the cooler and pull it once there.

Now you got something to do while it rests you drive. Gotta see the pron or it did not happen.

while you are smoking the meat, put in two or three brick

put these brick bottom of cooler and cover with towel

About the coolers, I had a customer of mine getting rid of a bunch of those Omaha steak styrofoam coolers they ship their meat in. She gave me a few of them and they have worked out great so far....just have to handle with a little care.
Anybody else use these?

Ken

Never tried those, but they sound great...I usually put it in my cooler with towels and newspaper on top...it's still nice and hot up six hours later, ready to pull :biggrin:

Back