MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Question on amount of ribs and brisket for 75

Get to cook for a work function for next Thursday. Feeding 75 and I am serving Brisket and Ribs. We will have plenty of sides so whatever is left over employees get to take home. Using a catering spreadsheet someone gave me it is calculating 18.8lbs of uncooked Brisket and 25 slabs of ribs. Does that seem high? Thanks for your feedback.

Jon
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

10-12 ribs on racks I usually pick up, so 25 racks times 10 is 250 ribs. Let's say for some reason 5 people won't eat the ribs(vegetarians, religious reasons, etc...) that's 250/70, which is 3.5 bones per person and that seems about right. Some will eat more some will eat less, but it's a good average. 18.8 will yield 14-16 pounds cooked(in my experience only), I assume eating them on sandwiches, might be wrong though, 14 pounds with the average sandwich being a third pound makes 42 sandwiches. Just rough numbers from what I have found helpfully to me and take them for what they are worth to you.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

From my experience cooking for my cigar group and/or Marines I work with, your numbers are about right. If you're concerned, have someone dole,most portions so that someone does not get an entire slab then only eat 4 bones off it
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

What ever amount of ribs that you cook people will eat those until they are gone and then start on the brisket. If I were doing it I would cook 19 slabs and 40lbs (raw) whole packer briskets and ask everyone to only take 3 bones until everyone had a chance to get a plate.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->