MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
BuckSnort
On the road to being a farker

Default Freezing Pizza dough

I get my dough from a pizza place down in town and was just wondering if it can be frozen? I asked the people that worked there and they didnt know...
BuckSnort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Don't know why not, since I buy pizza dough all the time from the freezer section of the store.

It will even rise again after thawing.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, as long as you freeze it while the fermentation hasn't topped out. Once it's fully proofed, you're out of luck.

I freeze my dough all the time. It would be a good idea to oil the dough ball, and put it into a plastic baggie that you take all the air out of. The point there is to avoid drying out the skin of the dough ball from the moment you freeze it to the moment you bake it.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
leanza
Babbling Farker

I agree with Suji. I have noticed, though, that the dough balls loose a little something after freezing. Probably not even noticeable to the person eating the pie.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

I buy mine from a local pizza place and I usually buy 10 of them and freeze all the extras. I use them for really thin pizzas on the grill, and calzones. I have noticed that the calzones don't get quite as airy after frozen, but there is no noticeable diffence in the thin crust pizzas.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Yep, I buy pizza dough in the freezer section at the store all the time, when they are out i buy it from local pizza shop and freeze it before it ferments.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
BuckSnort

Thanks fella's !

Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

What do you pay at the pizza place?
jgh1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
BuckSnort

A dollar and change for a medium...

Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

I freeze dough balls all the time. I get them from a pizza joint for $1 and it makes 2 12" pies.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
Yes, as long as you freeze it while the fermentation hasn't topped out. Once it's fully proofed, you're out of luck.
based on this, do you recommend freezing as soon as they are rolled into balls (before cold or warm rise) or allow rise to take place for some period but not complete ?

Thanks
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
based on this, do you recommend freezing as soon as they are rolled into balls (before cold or warm rise) or allow rise to take place for some period but not complete ?

Thanks
Great question, and option #2 is right. I want the fermentation to get a little bit of a head start before I freeze it. Depending on how much yeast is in your formula, I'd say form your dough ball, oil & bag it, then let it proof in the coolth of the fridge for an hour. Then freeze.

One note about the shaping the ball - if you want to end up with a round pizza, you have to start with a tightly formed, round dough ball that will expand out evenly in all directions during proofing. If you don't care about a round pie, don't worry about it.

When I thaw - I'll pull it out of the freezer the night before if I'm planning ahead, and let it proof in the fridge. The cool temp will slow down fermentation, and that's a good thing. Slow, cool fermentation develops better flavor and the dough won't smell boozy, but wheaty.

If I want to use the frozen dough right away, I'll pull the bagged dough out of the freezer and let it rest on an aluminum cookie pan. The pan is a heat sink - it will draw warmth into the cool dough and thaw it faster. Allow it to rise for a couple of hours - until the dough ball is puffed up enough to use.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
Great question, and option #2 is right. I want the fermentation to get a little bit of a head start before I freeze it. Depending on how much yeast is in your formula, I'd say form your dough ball, oil & bag it, then let it proof in the coolth of the fridge for an hour. Then freeze.

One note about the shaping the ball - if you want to end up with a round pizza, you have to start with a tightly formed, round dough ball that will expand out evenly in all directions during proofing. If you don't care about a round pie, don't worry about it.

When I thaw - I'll pull it out of the freezer the night before if I'm planning ahead, and let it proof in the fridge. The cool temp will slow down fermentation, and that's a good thing. Slow, cool fermentation develops better flavor and the dough won't smell boozy, but wheaty.

If I want to use the frozen dough right away, I'll pull the bagged dough out of the freezer and let it rest on an aluminum cookie pan. The pan is a heat sink - it will draw warmth into the cool dough and thaw it faster. Allow it to rise for a couple of hours - until the dough ball is puffed up enough to use.
Agree completely. I do it this way as well.

I started making my own pizza dough about a year ago. It's just a few simple ingredients. When I make up a batch (a batch of mine will make 6 pies), I will usually make up 2 batches at once. We cook all 6 pizzas when we do cook pizzas, so after they both rise a bit, I'll divide one up into 6 balls and freeze them. I've never had a problem with them rising a bit more after placed from the freezer to the fridge the morning of pizza night.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
leanza
Babbling Farker

I'm going to depart here from the idea that you cool your dough ball for about an hour then freeze it. Once you lower the temp to the freeze point the little fellars go into a slumber. Only one hour of fermentation is not sufficent in my mind. I would cool ferment overnight then freeze.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Like I said, it really depends on how much yeast you have in there to begin with. If it's a fast rising formula with lots of yeast & lots of sugar in the recipe, then an hour's refrigerated rise prior to freezing is enough of a head start.

Even if you have a very low yeast formula, it still works out. You just need to proof it longer after the thaw.