DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I made some of this awesome pork dish and decided to remedy that. Here are most of the ingredients for the marinade and the pickled red onion.

I had also dung out a 8.85 lb. pork shoulder from the freezer

that I had purchased on sale for $0.99 a lb. :whoo:

I cut most of the fat cap off

I placed it in an aluminum chaffing pan and then scored the meat in alternating directions for better marinate penetration.

I poured half of the marinade over this side and then turned it over and poured on the over half.

I covered this and let it rest in the fridge overnight. Now I sliced up 2 large red onions with a mandolin.

Notice how it’s close the edge of the counter? Well it got to the edge and started to fall off. Hint: JUST LIKE A KNIFE, DO NOT TRY TO CATCH A FALLING MANDOLINE! These things are razor sharp and there was lots of blood. :doh:

O.K. back from the first aid station and here are all the slices.

I had started a pan of water to boil

and put the onions in for approximately 5 minutes and then drained them in a colander and poured cold water over them.

Now I put them in a quart canning jar and squeezed in 3 Valencia oranges, 2 limes and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar.

Along with on Habanero pepper to add just a little heat.

Today I spread out some aluminum foil in alternating directions.

I then spread out some parchment paper in alternating directions along with some butchers twine.

And finally the banana leaves in alternating directions along with some butchers twine.

I place the pork shoulder on the banana leaves and wrapped this up with my wife trying the twine for me. (This part goes so must faster with some help)

Then wrapped that in the parchment paper.

And finally the aluminum foil.

I lite up the kamado and set it up for indirect cooking. Once it got up to 325 I put on the package. (It got up to 350)

We went for a little drive now and I purchased some fresh made (still warm) corn tortillas. 4 hours later the IT was 211 degrees and ready to take off. I set it on the side of the kamado to cool a little.

As it was cooling I reheated the tortillas and put them in my tortilla warmer.

Now I started to unwrap the package.

Oh it looks good and the smell was incredible!

I fished out the banana leaves

and the bone.

Husker agrees that the smell was incredible!

Now I pulled the meat. (It pulls so easy)

Here it is plated with rice, beans and a Dos Equis Chelada.

And the money shot.

[FONT=&quot]Muy Delicioso! [/FONT]

Looks fantastic, nice cook! You are now an honorary medic to boot:shock:. Heal quickly my friend:-D.

KC

Wow that looks fantastic!! I always try to catch knives as well when the fall. Bad habit I know but I think it comes from playing baseball my whole life, instinct is to catch anything falling. I even had a box cutter stab me at work in my hand trying to catch it.

Wow that looks fantastic!! I always try to catch knives as well when the fall. Bad habit I know but I think it comes from playing baseball my whole life, instinct is to catch anything falling. I even had a box cutter stab me at work in my hand trying to catch it.
Thank you Richard. Hopefully we can both break that habit.

Bro, that looks farking fantastic. Looks like a blood sacrifice was the secret ingredient.

Wow - fantastic! My one attempt at cochinita pibil was a fail, but then again I was following a recipe that was in a book that was more about pretty pictures than actual cooking. That really looks great and makes me want to give it another shot - nicely done!

Back