MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
umyaya
On the road to being a farker

Thumbs up Cochinita Pibil

I cooked a Rick Bayless recipe for Cochinita Pibil last weekend with pickled red onions. It was amazing. Sorry, no photos…it was gobbled up too quickly. If you don't mind tracking down a few Mexican ingredients, I highly recommend trying it. My only tweak was to smoke the pork.

Here is the recipe:
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=169

I'd skip the Roasted Habanero Salsa though. I generally can handle extremely spicy food but this was too much for me.
Hasty-Bake Legacy Charcoal Grill
umyaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Thanks for the link. Sounds great!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by umyaya View Post
I cooked a Rick Bayless recipe for Cochinita Pibil last weekend with pickled red onions. It was amazing. Sorry, no photos…it was gobbled up too quickly. If you don't mind tracking down a few Mexican ingredients, I highly recommend trying it. My only tweak was to smoke the pork.

Here is the recipe:
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=169

I'd skip the Roasted Habanero Salsa though. I generally can handle extremely spicy food but this was too much for me.
Did you remove the seeds and the white "ribs" inside the pepper? This would make it a lot less spicy for those who cannot handle it.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Seasoning wise, that is similar to the tastes of the Pork Carnitas I make. They are cooked on the stove in a big pot of broth / water. Slow boilded for two hours covered, and then high heat lid off until the juices evaporate. Makes for very tasty, juicy, tender pork.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
umyaya
On the road to being a farker

Goyo, I just followed the recipe which only called for de-steming and roasting before use. I have eaten street vendor food in India without a problem, but this stuff was atomic. For fun, I had a friend try a very small amount and she chased it with a gallon of milk. Good times.
Hasty-Bake Legacy Charcoal Grill
umyaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
jonshep16
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

looks good
jonshep16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

You can never go wrong with a Rick Bayless recipe.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
deguerre

Anybody see Johnny Depp anywhere?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote