14th place chicken

So you turned in sausage meatballs on a bed of pulled chicken and got 14th?
I personally hate the Christmas ornament chicken ball boxes, however as a judge I force myself to thow out my own likes and dislikes and judge only how well you did on your presentation. You run the risk of your box landing on a table of judges that won't take " judge only what's presented" as seriously as I do.
Due to the poor picture, I would score a 7 (above average) mostly because of the burnt looking splotches. In real life it well could be an 8 (very good).
In my opinion you chicken ball cooks are on a uphill battle for fair scores.
Ed

LOL...meat balls was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Bet it tasted good though...

You run the risk of your box landing on a table of judges that won't take " judge only what's presented" as seriously as I do.

Kind of a damn shame that any judge isn't serious enough about their task to judge "only what is presented"...as they are instructed to do.

What you are really saying is, any cook runs that risk, regardless of what and how they cook.

Damn shame...

Some would say it takes balls to turn in chicken balls. :becky:

People keep saying that judges should judge what is presented and not based on what they like and dislike. Let's remember that the "appearance" criteria is subjectively based. That is to say, what looks good or not so good to that particular judge is how it is judged.

Maybe its my love of BBQ and food in general. But if Im at a picnic and see a pan of these, Im digging in. Not sure what they are but they look appetizing to me.

Good job

Some would say it takes balls to turn in chicken balls. :becky:

People keep saying that judges should judge what is presented and not based on what they like and dislike. Let's remember that the "appearance" criteria is subjectively based. That is to say, what looks good or not so good to that particular judge is how it is judged.

We did cupcake chicken for about 5 competitions last year. It definitely takes some practice in the pans to get them to look alike and understand the shrinkage that happens.

I was first worried about appearance because of seeing a lot of judge comments on forums and sites like bbqcritic where some say they don't like "fake looking chicken" or "manufactured chicken" or "balls of chicken". But during those 5 competitions our appearance scores were never higher. I think putting 9 in a box helps too.

Unfortunately they then had to taste them and also judge for tenderness :becky:.

Back