• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

JB Weld etc ?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
For us non welders is there any metal epoxies that could handle the heat and be safe toxic fume wise for say securing pipe nipple intakes or patch up
Pinholes in firebox etc ?

I believe the general consensus I've seen is that JBW works fine in moderation, just not around the fire box. I was going to use it once and searched here and other places heartily, but ended up having a friend weld it. There's another kind rated to a much higher temp designed for automotive applications but the name escapes me. I'll post back if I can find it.....

Edit: CarGo ThermoSteel, rated to 2400 degrees vs JBW good to intermittent 550 degrees.

Nothing except welding will handle direct fire. In the smoker part though, JB weld should be fine and is good for structural repair as well as sealing. If it's just a sealing issue, then a high temperature silicone sealant (RTV red for example) should be fine.

I had an old brinkman that had a couple of small holes in the firebox, I closed each one of those with a screw, 2 washers, and a nut

Correction to my previous post. Nothing except metal (not just welding) will handle direct fire.

I formed JB Weld High Heat in the seams around one of my side access fire box builds.

Been two years, no cracking or fail.

1_zps12f9b81a.jpg

2_zps639b846d.jpg

For us non welders is there any metal epoxies that could handle the heat and be safe toxic fume wise for say securing pipe nipple intakes or patch up
Pinholes in firebox etc ?

I was just going to ask the same thing. Now I don't have to. :mrgreen:

Back