MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Default Not Q, just Bread...

I've been baking bread for a while. Whenever I'm Q'ing something that deserves bread. Steaks, roast chicken, chops, whatever... This is what you do with the oven when it's sitting lonely in the kitchen....

1 - Get your ingredients. You need flour, All Purpose or bread, doesnt' matter. Brands? They are all different. King Arthur, Gold Medal, Pillsbury, again, doesn't really matter. Water? I use tap. My water is from Lake Michigan, so it's relatively soft already. We don't have a softener. You may need bottled? Salt, Kosher, Mortons. Yeast, I used Red Star, but I don't think the brands make much difference.

2 - Get your container. At minimum, you'll need a container that will allow you to keep 6 1/2 cups of flour and 3 cups of water. I got these from Sam's Club. They are 6 Liter containers.

3 - Mix it up. Add in 6 1/2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 tsp yeast and 3 cups of water. Make sure the water is not over 100 degrees. Mix with a spoon, spatula, or whatever. After 1 min of mixing, add in 1 1/2 TBSP of Kosher salt. Make sure everything is incorporated. If this entire process takes more than 5 minutes, it's taking too long. It should be quick, just make sure it's not too liquidy on the bottom and any dry flour that may stay in the corners has been incorporated. It should look like this.

4 - Let it sit on the counter or semi warm place for 4-6 hours, until it doubles in volume. Then stash in the fridge. You can make a loaf after 4 hours, but it really need overnight. This dough will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, but it's ideal in the 2-7 day timeframe.

Here is my dough after doubling.

5 - Time to make bread. Take out the contain of dough.

6 - Take out about 1/3 of the dough and put on a floured cutting board so you can minimally work the dough. It will be sticky, that's fine. Best to use floured hands. Also, take out a peel or whatever you will finally rest your bread on. Add on some semolina or corn meal to keep your loaf from sticking.

7 - Coat the top with flour, notice, I haven't worked the dough at all....

8 - Now, pick up the dough, make sure it's coated with flour all over, and fold the outside edges underneath the dough to form a ball. It should look like this. And don't mess with it too long, this should only take 1 minute at maximum. Place it on your peel or whatever you have coated with corn meal/semolina.

9 - Preheat your oven to 450. Make sure you have a baking/pizza stone in the oven. I put in on lowest rack. In addition, I have my broiler pan on the oven floor.

10 - After the oven is preheated and my bread has been resting for 30 min or so, it's time to cook. Use a wet bread knife and cut the top of the bread about 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep with some slits across the top. I like to scallop mine. It should look like this, except, honestly, I probably cut these too deep.

11 - Put it on your hot stone. As soon as you get it on your stone, add 1 cup of hot tap water into your broiler pan. You want a very moist environment to get a good crust on your bread.

12 - Cook for 35 minutes or so, or until the bread gets to 200-210 degrees internal.

If your dough is too wet, it could cook for 45 minutes and still be ok. I usually get 3 loaves per batch. The round loaf is a boule, but you form into whatever shape you want.

After 3 loaves, I usually don't clean my dough container. I just scrape down the sides and make a new batch. The old dough has good yeasty flavors that add to the overall bread character.

The first finished loaf was the one I cooked yesterday. I made these 2 today.

Hope this is enough to get someone to try! Enjoy!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

nice - I wonder if that works well in an oven on an off-set?
FatCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That looks great! I haven't made bread in ages!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

What an awesome tutorial...I will probably give it a go next weekend.

Thanks for your efforts and willingness to share!
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't bought bread in 15 yrs that is a fine loaf the crumb is really nice.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Looks wonderful. The Mrs, usually bakes bread. Hasn't done it in awhile. Might have to start making it myself.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice loaves! Pro tip about the flour - it matters big time. Look for high protein content - around 12.5-14% - the more protein = the more gluten, the more gluten = the higher the rise in your final bread. If you want it light and fluffy, go for high protein flour

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Nice looking bread!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yum!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Looks great, can't beat a good home made bread. I have a question on the broiler pan, Is it resting right on the bottom oven element, can't tell from the pic?
Those are some nice looking loaves too!

KC

Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Looks great, can't beat a good home made bread. I have a question on the broiler pan, Is it resting right on the bottom oven element, can't tell from the pic?
Those are some nice looking loaves too!

KC
I have a gas oven. It's just sitting on the floor of the oven. My heating element is below the floor. If you have an electric oven with exposed heating element, I'm not sure how you would place a container for water. You do need the moist environment to get a good exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
nice - I wonder if that works well in an oven on an off-set?
If you can pull off 450 and also have a place to hold water to steam off, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
Nice loaves! Pro tip about the flour - it matters big time. Look for high protein content - around 12.5-14% - the more protein = the more gluten, the more gluten = the higher the rise in your final bread. If you want it light and fluffy, go for high protein flour
I've had very good luck with bread and regular all purpose flour. The AP flours I use have a protein content of 10.5 - 11.5. I think the King Arthur AP flour has 12.5 protein content. The bread flours are higher, but I haven't noticed much if any difference in appearence, flavor or crumb with either AP or Bread flour with this method. That could just be from the lack of kneading.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

That is fantastic looking. I have tossed around the idea of giving bread making a shot but really haven't gotten around to it. I think you might of inspired me.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
That is fantastic looking. I have tossed around the idea of giving bread making a shot but really haven't gotten around to it. I think you might of inspired me.
Consider flour to be 100% and use the following -
60-80% water
2% salt
1% yeast

Knead for 5-10 minutes, rest until doubled in size, knock the air out and shape the loaf. It's ready to go when it's increased in size by around 1/3 to 1/2

Initial bake for around 10 minutes as hot as your oven will go, then drop it back to around 350F for the remainder of the bake, removing the bread when it sounds hollow when knocked on the bottom.

That's basically it. Use those percentages and you'll never go wrong. So a quick improvised bread would be -

500g flour
350ml water (70% hydration)
10g salt
5g yeast

Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Bravo Kirk!! Great tutorial, I use a very similar method with great success also. Simple and delicious.

Quick note for you WFO guys, mop your brick (stick with a wet rag) with H2o just before sliding the bread in.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
veryolddog
On the road to being a farker

Very nice looking bread. Well done!

I usually make bread very similar to you. I like some make some variations on occasion. For example, I take a cup of Italian seasoning and mix it into the dough. It brings a nice flavor.

The cooking stone is a good approach. What I do sometimes is cook it inside a Lodge Cast Iron pot which has a cover. I set the oven to 400 degrees and oil the interior of the cast iron pot and lid. I place the cast iron into the oven and let it warm to 400 degrees. After the cast iron is at 400 degrees, I place the dough inside the pot, covered, and back into the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I uncover the cast iron pot and bake for 15 to 20 minutes and then remove it from the oven. Carefully, turn the cast iron pot and it will gently fall out. Place on a rack to cool. Great with butter on the warm side.

Another way to serve the bread is to baste the bread with olive oil and place it on a charcoal grill.

Thanks for sharing you way of doing bread.

Ed
veryolddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
912, bread