MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #4066
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

On second thought, that would make scooping the ash out of the bottom of the drum a nightmare..
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 04:58 AM   #4067
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks very nice!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #4068
grills gone wild
Knows what a fatty is.

I did a test burn last night, set her up with about 12 lbs of charcoal in the basket and 3/4 of a chimney to get her going. Started at 9:30 and by about 10:30 -11 she was down to about 270. I closed the intake a bit more and she dropped to about 250 at the center of the grate and 225 at the edges. I had a few more beers and watched her till about midnight and called it a night at midnight with her holding steady at 256.

Just got up and checked her and she is at 262. I closed the inlet a very little more too see how responsive she is to small changes and she dropped to 249 in about 30 minuted and she is hold there at 249.

Lovin' it!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #4069
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsuosso View Post
Thanks to all, got to around page 140 or so, and had to start my build. Used a grape juice drum, had the typical tough coating to sand out after a burn. Tough job in the city. Seasoning went well, had to throw some sausages on while I waited. Used 3 -3/4 nipples for inlets w/ 1 ball valve & 8 -1/2" holes in lid. With valve open and 1 cap off stayed steady @ 230. Will try my hand at ribs this w/e. Thanks again to all for the advice.

FYI....a Weber lid fits that style drum PERFECTLY!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #4070
bobsuosso
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
On second thought, that would make scooping the ash out of the bottom of the drum a nightmare..
Hope this quote thing works, hello blackened, so far so good on the casters, atached with 1/4 x 1/2 pan heads from inside out so just a little bump inside, scoped out fine, have a heavy duty fiberglass/plastic drum dolly but was nervous about using that, has anyone used one of those? thanks again to all, enjoy the long w/e.
bobsuosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #4071
bobsuosso
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
FYI....a Weber lid fits that style drum PERFECTLY!
Hello Bubba, been driving the neighborhoods real slow on trash days, might have to wait till 1st snow before the grills start showing up in the trash, might have to go craigslist route, glad to know the lid will fit nicely, tough to find a turkey only 7 1/2" tall, thanks have a good w/e
bobsuosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #4072
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsuosso View Post
Hope this quote thing works, hello blackened, so far so good on the casters, atached with 1/4 x 1/2 pan heads from inside out so just a little bump inside, scoped out fine, have a heavy duty fiberglass/plastic drum dolly but was nervous about using that, has anyone used one of those? thanks again to all, enjoy the long w/e.
aah, that makes sense, I'll have to keep an eye out for some good heavy duty casters..
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #4073
GoinOvr
Found some matches.

Hey all,

Since this is the mother of all UDS threads I'd figure I'd ask about a drum I just acquired. A guy at work gave it to me for free but it was used to hold his racing gas which was methanol. It's also a sealed top drum but that I think I'll be able to figure out. My question is will the drum work for a UDS if I get a couple good burns through it along with a couple good scrubbings of soap and water?

The last thing I want to do is go blind from eating the wondrous smoked meats. haha

Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #4074
Norcoredneck

Good burns will work if that is all you have. my big worry would be a spark when cutting it open.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #4075
phDog
Got Wood.

my ricketly lid (original to the drum) has my temps all over the place. woe is me.

is there any kind of heat-safe weatherstripping type thing i can put around the edge?
phDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4076
bud1lite
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

man my eyes hurt!this is the biggest thread ive ever seen i think,lol
ok for us really cheap laid off people.couldint you just use the flexible magnets on all the intakes at the bottom?no ball valve...,im close to 40 but no back problems yet,lol

Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4077
Norcoredneck

Put a big rock/brick on top in center. Also keeps the squirrels out.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #4078
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud1lite View Post
man my eyes hurt!this is the biggest thread ive ever seen i think,lol
ok for us really cheap laid off people.couldint you just use the flexible magnets on all the intakes at the bottom?no ball valve...,im close to 40 but no back problems yet,lol
Many have done that. Some handsome guy in NC started it (N8man) and then a guy on the west coast followed his lead (WHL3). They swear by them.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #4079
phDog
Got Wood.

ok i have 2 retaining wall blocks on the lid right now and i'm back up to about 230. thanks redneck!
phDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #4080
bud1lite
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

cool,thanks I can start out with those and see what i get.Seems I want to go up in temp ,not have to try to bring it down right?so less air first and open as needed...

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker