Beef going down...?

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wholesaler tells me that the Japanese situation has hit US beef exports and beef should be going down, if only for a little bit.

Thought the same thing (Japan being major market currently not buying) earlier this week when my brisket price dropped 25¢/lb Checking with my rep to see what this week is - may be stocking up a bit.

Have also heard the possibility the crisis in Japan may also drive gas prices down.

My guess is it's just a short term drop. The number of beef cattle on feed is at it's lowest since 1958. I am guessing that by this summer you could see a sharp rise in beef prices. Just my oppinion.

My neighbor is a store director for a Brookshires and he told me beef prices won't be going down anytime soon. :mad:

I spoke with the owner of a burger joint (national franchise) today who said that his supplier told him to expect a rise in beef soon.

I personally think short term drop in wholesale, nothing at the retail level, and long term rise.

I personally think short term drop in wholesale, nothing at the retail level, and long term rise.

That's probably right. The lower price will allow to whole sellers to recoup money previously lost, or to make a temporary better profit. Frankly speaking, I'd be okay with that, keeps more people working and more choices out there.

Back