smoked ham

jacobgiles

Reaction score
i have a "raw" ham that i would like to smoke. has anyone done this before? thanks..

I did a raw ham before(not even sure there is such a thing as a raw ham). It just turned out as a big piece of pork. Not sure this helps you but I had know idea what I was doing.

I am assuming that you have what is referred to as a green ham (not to be confused with green eggs and ham). Is it simply raw pork with no cure or anything? If you simply smoke it you'll just end up with smoked pork. To turn it into a ham you have to cure it. I'm not sure if anyone here has posted on how to do this, but here is one method that I found online...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Cure-Ham-at-Home

Once you are done with the curing process then you can smoke it. There is a link in the article above on smoking it, but there is also a lot of info here. I've only started with a fully cooked ham, but I smoke it at 225 to 240 degrees until it is around 150 or so internal and then rest it. If you are cooking it for the first time I would think that you would want to take it to to at least that temp.

I think it needs to be hung to cure first in like a salt rub, I think like at least for 40-60 days at 75 degrees, some hams hang for 5 years, then the crust is peeled off. Not sure but I don't think your going to be able to do it in one cook, if you want it to taste like a ham.

Sorry Ron L, didn't see your post.

this is a bad idea for me. i havent picked it up from the store yet, the owner just told me that he ordered it. i will stop by in the morning and let him know i wont be getting it. thanks for the replies.

5 years? no kidding I had no idea hams could cure for that long

I like to take a fresh ham and rub it heavy with mustard then apply the rub heavy --then put it on the grill-smooker at 250-275 after about 3/4 ways thru the cook start putting Honey and BBQ sause on

Back