Mini WSM vs. OTS Kettle setup for indirect?

greenzee

Found some matches.
Reaction score
While I wait for the Ohio spring to start my UDS build I am thinking of putting a mini WSM together, looks like a neat little project. I already have two 22" Weber kettles, one setup for grilling, the other for longer indirect cooks (firebricks, foiled off charcoal grate). Question is, do I really gain much with a mini WSM vs. my indirect kettle in terms of temps, control, and overall cooking experience? Obviously the mini is more portable and frankly just looks cool.

Opinions and feedback are much appreciated!

I can easily feed 4 people with the Mini Smokey Joe, fire it up and start cooking in 15-20 minutes. It uses a minimal amount of charcoal compared to what I would use in the Performer, but that's not really an issue. I'm mainly cooking for the two of us and I use it primarily as a high heat smoker for reverse searing and indirect grilling and I use it a lot!

Sounds like you got it going on with your two 22" kettles, the Mini is a pretty cool little tool that you would enjoy cooking on- but your kettles will get very lonely!

you will find that you use the mini more. well, unless yer cooking something huge.

I have a 22.5 kettle, and a mini-WSM. My own observation is my mini-wsm is better for things like MOINK balls, ABTs, and other snacks. I easily hold a steady 250 on the mini-WSM, using very little fuel.

I've done a meat-loaf on it, as well, and it turned out well. It would also be great for fatties.

For something like a pork loin or pork tenderloins, I prefer the either my 18.5 or 22.5 kettles, so I have a hot zone and an indirect zone to both smoke and sear the meat.

So, IMO, the mini-WSM is better for some things, while the kettles are better for others. That's why I like having both of them.

CD

Ya all I've done on my mini is ABT ,dino beef ribs I tried to do two chickens ounce and it just didn't work now one chicken would work. Its really a good and very easy smoker to build the ABT's that come off it are great, everybody loves the mini:thumb:

Back