High Heat Pork Butts...WSM Method...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was gonna do these on the BGE but wanted to recreate a comp situation to see how they would come out on an 18 inch WSM. :cool:

I got 2 boneless pork butts from Costco...one weighs about 5 lbs...the other about 7 lbs. Rubbed with some of Steph's "Simply Marvelous" Sweet & Spicy and added 1 cup of apple juice to each pan.

Fired up the bullet with K and a couple of chunks of Sugar Maple...when the temp hit 350 I put the small butt on the lower rack and the big butt on top.

I put them on @ 9:45 am...temps have been averaging 325 ish...for the last 2 hours. I'll check them at the 3 hour mark and cover with foil when they hit 160 ish...

Stay tuned folks...:biggrin:

Superbowl2010001.jpg

Superbowl2010002.jpg

Superbowl2010003.jpg

Superbowl2010004.jpg

Superbowl2010005.jpg

Superbowl2010008.jpg

The butts are in the WSM on the left...I'm using a rib rack to prop the door open. I've got 6 racks of BB's in the other one...:biggrin:

Like them therms. on the cooker where did you get them??? and good luck on the hi heat cook...

Does cooking them in the pan affect the smoke flavor?

Dunno...I'm fixin' to find out...:cool:

Like them therms. on the cooker where did you get them??? and good luck on the hi heat cook...

Tel-Tru...:p

Brother Ed, of KickassBBQ, pretty well cooks everything he smokes in a pan and swears by the method. Maybe he will chime in the discussion.

This is Ed's method...I e-mailed him for tips before farkin' it up...:lol::lol::lol: Thanks again Ed! :cool:

Man this is a great thread already i've been wanting to try his foil pan method. Looking forward to the results! Looks good so far!

I can't see the pics at work (if there are any). Are you doing them fatside up or down? On my WSM, I generally cook fatside down but with it being in a pan, I wonder if you could get away with flipping it?

I can't see the pics at work (if there are any). Are you doing them fatside up or down? On my WSM, I generally cook fatside down but with it being in a pan, I wonder if you could get away with flipping it?

Fatcap down...and yes...there are pics...:cool:

I'm at the three hour mark and the top butt is at 170...the bottom is at 190...:eek: These guys popped off quick! :cool: I foiled and swapped the top to the bottom...then lowered the heat to 250...I'll check them again in another hour then probably cooler the first one...I think I'll let her ride till it hits 200-205.

If you have a 18 WSM fully loaded with all vents wide open approx what temp can you keep it at? 325ish?

nice on the splitting the foil pan in half and crimping the edges. :biggrin:

and cool on the boiling in it's own fat. :biggrin:

i haveta try a hot&fast sometime. :biggrin:

:biggrin:

If you have a 18 WSM fully loaded with all vents wide open approx what temp can you keep it at? 325ish?

yep...with the door upside down and ajar about 1/2 inch...

What's the paper clip for?

To prop the door open...it wasn't enough though...had to go more...^^^

Why aren't you using the 22" WSM?

Wanted to see if I could do it on the small one...less $ for fuel...:cool:...it worked with fuel to spare...:-D

nice on the splitting the foil pan in half and crimping the edges. :biggrin:

and cool on the boiling in it's own fat. :biggrin:

i haveta try a hot&fast sometime. :biggrin:

:biggrin:

I'm hooked...:biggrin:

Here's the skinny...about 4 1/2 hours from fire to foil on the butts...:p The bark was great...the smoke was great...the moisture was great...I even liked the way Steph's rub worked with my sauce...:lol::lol::lol:...good stuff brother! :wink:

Superbowl2010014.jpg

Superbowl2010017.jpg

Superbowl2010019.jpg

The BB's weren't too shabby either...:cool:

Superbowl2010011.jpg

Superbowl2010013.jpg

Superbowl2010010.jpg

Oh man, great looking butt and ribs there JD, another method I have to try.

Looks great JD!! I love maple wood with pork. How many chunks did you use with the hot, and fast method?

Back