MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #61
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I think this discussion shows what I heard on a local news spot the other night with regards to our society. We have become a much more demanding society. In the case of food and restaurants. We want/demand royalty type service or we throw temper tantrums either in the restaurant or on a review site such as Yelp or Urbanspoon. We want fine dining for fast food type prices. We want a top notch meal served in drive thru time.

I'm glad I don't own a restaurant or any type of vending/catering business. When we do tradeshows to push our products I see first hand how rude, crude and arrogant people are. It never fails. When we're sampling there's going to be those who feel the need to walk up to you and tell you why they like product "A" better than yours. Yet when you ask them have they even tried yours they answer "no". Then you've got the arrogant health nuts who get upset because your product isn't "gluten free", "sugar free", "fat free", "calorie free" etc. Or the classic d-bag who makes it a point to walk up to you (having no intentions of sampling) just to let you know that "He makes his own bbq sauce" and yours isn't no where as good as his. Yet he's never tried yours and refuses to when you ask him to.

People can be very crude and it seems grocery stores and restaurants are the places where they feel they are obligated to be that way.
This reminded me of this story

http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/04/ne...kerfuffle.html

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #62
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Most vegans annoy me beyond belief.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #63
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

My best dishes I make at home my wife asks "What'd you put in there?" I reply "I dunno."
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #64
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Actually, I could really care less if it's the point or the flat or what kind of wood it's cooked on or what's in the sauce or if the guy at the counter knows the difference, as long as it tastes good. If the place had real smoke coming out the back and smelled good, I bet you probably missed out on some delicious bbq by being snobbish. I can make bbq that I like and I think it's good, but that don't give me the right to go into somebody's place that makes and sells bbq for a living and try to "out-bbq" them. The proof is in the eating, and that's about all I'd worry about.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #65
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wasn't there so not saying this happened but there was a spousal admonishment...Knowing how to cook doesn't give you license to be rude in someone else's dining room.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #66
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Its up to you to maintain whatever standards you want to - nothing wrong with that, as long as you are not impolite/rude to others. I don't eat certain things when we go out, because we cook a lot at home (different ethnic foods, bbq, etc) so if it doesn't look or sound better than what wife and me can make at home, I don't buy it.

However, if I was hungry enough, I would gladly eat a microwaved burrito from a gas station without any qualms. My standards are not high enough to keep me from filling my belly when it needs fuel!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #67
jestridge

So what is real BBQ???? Whatever you want too cook and in your mind it bbq, so that why I don't criticize other people cooking
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #68
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Y'all think the OP has gotten the message? We're now working five pages of this thread ripping him a new one. Hope he comes back. I think we're now the one in position to need to be forgiven.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #69
16Adams

Nope. Don't think he's got it yet. But I do think society will be more polite the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November 2016.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #70
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
If that is the case, then the owner of the restaurant doesn't have a proper training program in place. Nobody working in a restaurant should be interacting with diners unless they know how to talk to the diners about the food with knowledge and confidence.

CD
Well, I am late with this reply, I had to go eat for a few hours.

But, here is my take.

If I am at a fine dining restaurant, and we can say that means sit down, waitstaff, entrees in the $25+ range, then I fully expect that I will get a professional waiter (be that female or male), who fully understands any question I ask, and knows to either answer me, or to get me an immediate answer. If the expected tab is $100 or more, even with beverage per person, I expect that answer to be done immediately and with a smile. Any question, answered right. I often get this service around here, and when it is from a lower cost place, I am even more thrilled.

From a place where I expect my tab to be less than $30 per person, I expect the food to be good, for the service to include basic pleasantries and enough staff or knowledge to at least offer me some feedback. If the cook can answer, all the better. But, I do not expect any of the wait or line staff to answer everything I might ask. I consider the fact that they offered a sample for free to be acceptable as an answer, I would gladly have tried it. If it was not acceptable, I would have asked if there was something else on the menu.

BUT, I have worked in restaurants, vending and catering, I have served thousands and thousands of meals. And there is one truth, that no matter what, all too often, people treat you like a failure, like food service is somehow where losers or idiots work. Tell me, would you feel good if that wait girl was your daughter? Did you treat her as you would have a stranger treat your daughter? Or did you treat her like she failed you and was ignorant?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #71
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Its up to you to maintain whatever standards you want to - nothing wrong with that, as long as you are not impolite/rude to others. I don't eat certain things when we go out, because we cook a lot at home (different ethnic foods, bbq, etc) so if it doesn't look or sound better than what wife and me can make at home, I don't buy it.

However, if I was hungry enough, I would gladly eat a microwaved burrito from a gas station without any qualms. My standards are not high enough to keep me from filling my belly when it needs fuel!
I am 52 years old now, and I have learned that this is not a good strategy for me anymore.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #72
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
Most vegans annoy me beyond belief.
Those two would have been asked to leave my table. Interestingly, I know of no restaurant out here that would serve food prepared from ingredients brought in by customers. Just bringing them into the kitchen would raise a whole host of issues.

Also, when you print out one of those coupons, you should really be aware that if you like the restaurant, go ahead and pay full price. The restaurant makes almost no money, even if you order beverage on those tickets, as they have to pay percentage to the discounter. I might print those discounts, but, I always tip on the entire non-discounted amount, and if I like the place, I waive the discount.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #73
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Just think you might have missed out on some of the best "Q" you've ever tasted.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #74
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
And I can also eat a steak from III Forks or Ruth's Chris or the Metropolitan Grill or the Chicago Chop House when I could cook one at home for 1/10 the price (but not the flavor).....

...it's about choice
thats not the point. this guy isnt' even sure that the bbq tastes any different than his. he just complained that a guy didn't know if it was the flat or point and walked out assuming its going to be bad. for me ok to eh bbq is better than a 5 layer burrito at taco smell.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #75
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
absolutely. alot of different kind of food is really good. whether its the freshest of fresh and cost 50 bucks a plate or is full of preservatives and a buck and a half at a gas station.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote