MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #12271
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I think you may be confusing smoke with smoke flavor. Normally you will barely see any smoke but you will still get good smoke flavor. Most of the time I'm getting what looks like hot air coming out the exhaust and that's the way I want it, I still get plenty of smoke flavor.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #12272
vatoloco
Got rid of the matchlight.

I haven't cooked anything on it yet, just tring to figure out how to regulate it so i dont ruin a copule racks of ribs
vatoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #12273
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbossJB View Post
I think you may be confusing smoke with smoke flavor. Normally you will barely see any smoke but you will still get good smoke flavor. Most of the time I'm getting what looks like hot air coming out the exhaust and that's the way I want it, I still get plenty of smoke flavor.
Best advice/comment there.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #12274
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbossJB View Post
Agreed. I like it TBS to heat vapors only. Nice clean fire with plenty O' smoke flavor.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #12275
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLX View Post
What kind of raw wood (type & size) and what kind of fuel are you using? I liberally mix in raw chunks in the fire basket with lump and it keeps light smoke going throughout the cook. Sometimes it will flare up with white smoke, but not for long.
Perfect
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #12276
bowhunter149

Does anyone use the meat hanging rods in their uds like the pit barrel cooker does?

I'm planning to put some in mine but trying to figure out if i should make hangers for the ends of the rod to sit in or drill the holes in the sides of the barrel like the pit barrel cooker and the hooks n cooks barrel.

Here also something I was wondering about while building my uds. Most all smokers have the outlet vent in the top of the smoker. The pit barrel cooker does not, it only has the holes in the side that the rods sit in. I was wondering if not having the vent in the top but having it in the sides would create convention type cooking and maybe that is why the pit barrel cooker is reported to cook faster.
bowhunter149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #12277
SteveKing
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter149 View Post
I was wondering if not having the vent in the top but having it in the sides would create convention type cooking and maybe that is why the pit barrel cooker is reported to cook faster.
I can't see it changing the air flow pattern so drastically as to affect the cooking time. My bet is they cook faster because the radiant heat is closer.
SteveKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #12278
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #12279
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

I had been struggling with controlling my smoker after lighting the fire, sometimes would take 30 minutes to have a BBQ ready fire and sometimes an hour. I was lighting off half a chimney of lump and dumping it in the middle of my basket (hollowed out a spot.

Today, lit a small amount of coals in the basket with a weber cube, contained by a small coffee can in the corner of the basket. I was able to bring it up to temp slowly and had a fire BBQ fire ready with out much effort.

image.jpg
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #12280
CoastieQue

Name/Nickname : Coastie

Well its been awhile since i have sifted through a lot of these pages. I finally have a UDS and it has been left unattended. What would be the best way to get rid of the rust on the inside without really getting at it with a sander? Will a good solid burn help? Or do I just need to suck it up and pull the sander out?
CoastieQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #12281
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLX View Post
I had been struggling with controlling my smoker after lighting the fire, sometimes would take 30 minutes to have a BBQ ready fire and sometimes an hour. I was lighting off half a chimney of lump and dumping it in the middle of my basket (hollowed out a spot.

Today, lit a small amount of coals in the basket with a weber cube, contained by a small coffee can in the corner of the basket. I was able to bring it up to temp slowly and had a fire BBQ fire ready with out much effort.

Attachment 104887
TXLX, I use to use a can method but found my BBQ had a funny taste. It took a whole year to find the if you use Kingsturd that the chemicals used to make it would burn of as it light outward leaving a horrible taste to my cook. I found that if I lit a whole chimney and waited till charcoal was ashy white and dumping it evenly over the top of the basket fix the problem. Also a full chimney help get the UDS up to temp very fast. I also found to let the UDS burn for a bit (don't rush) wait for clean blue smoke. I did see you used lump so your method is fine but if in a pinch you use briquets be forewarned. I takes me 15 minutes to hit the temps I cook 275 usually with my method 1 hour though before I add my meat.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #12282
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieQue View Post
Well its been awhile since i have sifted through a lot of these pages. I finally have a UDS and it has been left unattended. What would be the best way to get rid of the rust on the inside without really getting at it with a sander? Will a good solid burn help? Or do I just need to suck it up and pull the sander out?
Depends on how bad its rusted. I would just spray it down with cooking spry and light the basket to kill any nasty thing that have grown in there. The rust should cover up quick with grease and smoke. if the rust is flaking off maybe hit it with a power washer first to knock off the big stuff.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #12283
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieQue View Post
I'd hit it with a power washer and see how bad the rust is. You might be able to scrub isolated areas with a stainless steel scrubber pad and clean it up easily.
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #12284
cinmur
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter149 View Post
Does anyone use the meat hanging rods in their uds like the pit barrel cooker does?

I'm planning to put some in mine but trying to figure out if i should make hangers for the ends of the rod to sit in or drill the holes in the sides of the barrel like the pit barrel cooker and the hooks n cooks barrel.

Here also something I was wondering about while building my uds. Most all smokers have the outlet vent in the top of the smoker. The pit barrel cooker does not, it only has the holes in the side that the rods sit in. I was wondering if not having the vent in the top but having it in the sides would create convention type cooking and maybe that is why the pit barrel cooker is reported to cook faster.
I made UDS to run like pbc.. Rods are inside barrel and not going through wall of drum...use a locking ring to seal top and have 4 3/4 in outlet holes... Works great.. Cooked 90 lbs of briskets by be able to hang them.
cinmur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #12285
bowhunter149

Just finished building a uds. I put in 3 rods to hang the meat. I install them through the side wall and also have the outlet holes in the lid but they can be sealed off. Now just have to get it blasted and painted.

Next one I think I'll make hangers for the rods and compare how it works to the first one.
bowhunter149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker