• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What I learned on Friday at the "Jack"

donmiller

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
1) I really don't like fried Oreos.
(and now my curiosity about fried twinkies is extinguished)
2) The team parade was more fun than I thought it would be.
3) I can approach any team on Friday and ask questions. Everybody is willing to share and give pointers. Competative BBQ'ers are the most friendly people in the world.
(I know better than to try this on Saturday during crunch time)
4) I am still not sure that I ever want to actually compete, but I have a new appreciation for those that do.
(The Jack is the first competition I have ever visited)
5) I can't justify it, but I really, really, want a midsize backwoods.
6) I am really concerned about tomorrow's crowd. The local's estimate of the number of people goes up by a factor of two every time I hear a new estimate. I think that the latest estimate is that half a million people will be here in Lynchburg tomorrow.
7) Looking forward to Mary Bobo's tomorrow...

Don

May seem loke 1/2 million but in reality its about 30,000. I live near Lynchburg and visit there quite often. I go to the Jack every year (as a spectator) I also know a few people that work in the general store on the square. The year round population for Lynchburg is approx 1200-1500 people. The Fri and Sat of the Jack it grows to 30,000-35,000. This comes from the folks who work the general store. Christmas is also big for Lynchburg but not nearly as big as the Jack. The local business owners love it. During the year, the Lynchburg town square is quiet, peaceful, and relaxed like any other small southern town square, during the Jack, you can't see the town square!
Its a sight. And you are right, there are a great bunch of friendly people there. Love seeing all the teams, gear, food. Quite an experience.
As a matter of fact the wife and I are headed out now to drive down there for the day! Weather wise, perfect day for bbq!
Good luck to all the teams!

Yep, it's usually 25-30k people, but usually not all at one time. Yes, the majority of them are there from 11 am-3 pm, but there's people coming and going all day.

The city (all who are involved) do a GREAT job of handling that amount of people in that small of an area, where the number of people is usually not accommodated.

The big cities wouldn't do this for 'free' (parking, busing you to and from, entrance, etc.) The people in and around Lynchburg should be commended for their efforts. I know it is a financial boon to the area.

Wish I could make it, instead, I'm in the office working.

Yep, it's usually 25-30k people, but usually not all at one time. Yes, the majority of them are there from 11 am-3 pm, but there's people coming and going all day.

The city (all who are involved) do a GREAT job of handling that amount of people in that small of an area, where the number of people is usually not accommodated.

The big cities wouldn't do this for 'free' (parking, busing you to and from, entrance, etc.) The people in and around Lynchburg should be commended for their efforts. I know it is a financial boon to the area.

Wish I could make it, instead, I'm in the office working.

I agree, it is a wonderful experience. I came down to visit a team that has our trailer and met and got to know several others. My hat is off to Left Hand Smoke, they are are a great group and I'm proud to call them friends! Thanks so much for the hospitality JD, Rhana & Brian!!

I third that !!.. check out backwoods website, because someone won the jack using a backwoods cooker a long long time ago.

Gee...............let me take a guess..........um..........say 2007.:thumb:

My wife and I were taking our final walk around the square when I came across a vendor wearing a T-shirt that I had to get a picture of. Check out my shirt (on the left) and his (on the right)...

Don

Life_is.jpg

Back