MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #1621
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
First post! I've got three drums with the tan liner in them. I burned two of them for 5 hours filled 1/3 of the way elm. They burned HOT for a solid 5 hours. Paint on the outside turned to pink powder, inside I have patches of bare metal with patches of what looks like remaining carbonized tan liner.

So my question is, should I take it ALL off on the inside, right down to bare metal? I can't seem to get the black patches off, wire wheel isn't doing much.
Are the patches neart the top or bottom?

I had to burn my barrel twice. The first burn built up ash too fast and the bottom 1/3 wasn't hot enough. On the second burn I dumped a couple of chimneys of briquettes and just let it burn for a long time before adding longer cnunks of wood and working up the barrel.

A weed burner might help as well. I was tempted to leave some patches as getting the last bits out with a wire wheel SUCKED but I didn't want to risk anything toxic in the barrel.

Stick with it and take it down to bare metal.

Mike

Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #1622
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I had the same prob with that lining. I burned it out three times, tried the wire wheel, then broke down & got my oldest boy to sand blast that puppy .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #1623
RickyBobby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Patches are in the top, some on bottom. I just called a fellow who does sandblasting, he figures about $20 or so will get it nice and shiny. We'll see how the sandblasting works on the raw coating as well. I couldn't get it burned off the lids at all.

Thanks to Rookie48 for the sandblasting tip.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #1624
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerMike View Post
What you want is called a fan bus. Its used by computer geeks to manually control different and multiple fans within the computer case.

or google: computer fan bus
What about just using a ball valve or a gate valve to adjust the amount of air flow, either in front or behind the fan, that is what the guru does. The fan is not a variable speed unit and is only adjusted by the flap after the fan, thus altering the air flow. Of course the hard part would be fabricating some kind of box to mount all this.
Dave

Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #1625
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary
Default Straight to the horse's mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Magnets have been working great for quite a few. Check WHL3 post.
I'm on page 80-something and saw many of your threads on the how-to builds. Call me dumb but I can't seem to figure out a couple of things;
1. If I want to build my UDS with 2 racks to hold meat, does your tutorial have that? Even if I'm keeping the original lid (no 22" Weber kettle add on).
2. Can I effectively have 2 racks for a 55 gal drum?
3. Do you and the others recommend drilling before burning?

Thanks

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #1626
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

Only one rack will work if you are useing the flat lid.
If you want 2 racks you will need a domed lid or make a lid from another drum (i did).
If you are going to burn, YES drill the bottom holes first, you will need to get the air down to the bottom of the drum.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #1627
N8man
Babbling Farker

Using a Donor Drum I extended my DrumPit and now have 3 racks.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #1628
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
Using a Donor Drum I extended my DrumPit and now have 3 racks.
N8man, I don't have a welder and don't think I want to try something that ambitious! I've never built one before but, I'm gonna give it a try with all the info here...i figure i can't screw it up too badly Pat, from Des Moines showed me his at a recent comp and now...I must make one ASAP. For a first timer, do ya recommend building one with just one rack or tryin to find a dome that will fit it? I've been watchin for 22" domes around CL and local sales but no luck yet. Can I buy a new replacement Weber for it, from Weber? Thanks for all your help.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]

Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #1629
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

Make it with one rack and the flat lid, the 2nd rack can always be added when you find a domed lid.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #1630
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1398 View Post
N8man, I don't have a welder and don't think I want to try something that ambitious! I've never built one before but, I'm gonna give it a try with all the info here...i figure i can't screw it up too badly Pat, from Des Moines showed me his at a recent comp and now...I must make one ASAP. For a first timer, do ya recommend building one with just one rack or tryin to find a dome that will fit it? I've been watchin for 22" domes around CL and local sales but no luck yet. Can I buy a new replacement Weber for it, from Weber? Thanks for all your help.
Mine is no weld....just bolts, a lid clamp and wood stove gasket. I cut the donor drum with a hacksaw and a jigsaw. Easy, simple to do.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!

Last edited by N8man; 09-30-2008 at 06:18 PM..
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #1631
Zachbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

on the lid we noticed there was a rubber gasket do we burn that off 2
Zachbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #1632
jrichter52
Found some matches.

Can I buy a new replacement Weber for it, from Weber?

Yes You Can
I also got a rotissery option and was able to put a screen in it

jrichter52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #1633
jrichter52
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachbbq View Post
on the lid we noticed there was a rubber gasket do we burn that off 2
Pull the gasget
Burn / Wipe out the remaining glue
jrichter52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #1634
schoonch
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1398 View Post
GaryK1398,

I have rescued 4 weber grills for free from the trash and spent 5 bucks on a mint one-touch gold at a garage sale. They're out there if you are patient. My last one was free from a friend who had a cabana at a beach club (end of the season, she grabbed one that was left behind). Any colleges near you? May is a great time to find them at the trash when the students move out. Christmas and father's day are great times to hunt too --lots of people get new grills then. I would wait and get a freebe before I would buy a new replacement from Weber. You can still fit a lot on the single rack with the flat lid until you find a cheap or free Weber lid.
schoonch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #1635
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Default in the works

All you UDS farkers got me going and I finally got down to buying and building...I'll keep ya posted but here is my first pic of the unlined 55 gal I picked up! Do ya think that's enough pallets to burn with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2272.JPG (717.4 KB, 1782 views)

Gary, KCBS -CBJ

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker