Aaron Franklin's finished brisket

Interesting how he slices the "fatty" portions of the brisket. I sliced it the wrong way last time and those portions were very tasty but not as tender. Just shows that even if the brisket is cooked great, if you cut it wrong you lose some of the aweseomeness.

Outstanding video!

There's a lot to be said about the quality of meat one uses (select vs choice vs prime).

:biggrin1: I have a 13 lber going on in the morning:dancer:

Great video. I'm pretty sure these central tx guys use butcher paper over foil because its cheaper, especially on a commercial scale.

-Nick

Did he say what grade that brisket was? Great video, didn't know he had a video series. His place in Austin is definitely on my BBQ bucket list.

What are folks thoughts, at the moment, about wrapping?

Thats how you wrap them nice and tight, the paper vents un like foil.
Sent from my SGH-T999

Yeah, I'm a rapper. heheheheee.

Paper is a good deal for sure. Donny T got me back into paper a couple of years ago, but for brisket, I still make a boat with foil (bottom and low sides) to set my paper pouch on. .... when I tear the paper, the foil is a good safety net, and it makes it easier for me to get the pouch off the cooker.

We don't use paper over foil because of its cost.

That smoker is like a twin segmented Horizontal PBC rip off ain't it.

who the heck is donny T? LOL

Did he say what grade that brisket was? Great video, didn't know he had a video series. His place in Austin is definitely on my BBQ bucket list.

I just watched the entire series. Its excellent so far! He didn't exactly say, but did say it was what you would normally get at the grocery store. Its in one of the first videos. He pulls it out, takes it out of the wrapper, and trims it up.

I'm not positive, but I thought I remember seeing a choice label on the cryo pack in one of the vids. Possibly one of the Creekstone Farms upper choice packers. I know for his restaurant, he tries to use the best natural product available at the moment. It used to be Meyer farms products

What are folks thoughts, at the moment, about wrapping?

I love how Aaron cooks intuitively. No fixed rules. He wraps if he needs to, and doesn't wrap if he doesn't need to.

I liked how he described looking for a "mahogany" color, and wrapping to keep from going past that color. I definitely learned a new thing, there.

I cook intuitively, too. Which is probably why I "get" Aaron Franklin. Watching this whole brisket series of videos makes me want to get back on the saddle and try another brisket -- my nemesis, up to now.

CD

I cook intuitively, too. Which is probably why I "get" Aaron Franklin. Watching this whole brisket series of videos makes me want to get back on the saddle and try another brisket -- my nemesis, up to now.

I can't wait to try another. His explanation of the brisket stalling at 175 should fix my toughness problem next time. I love his approach in the videos. He explains things very well.

I love how Aaron cooks intuitively. No fixed rules. He wraps if he needs to, and doesn't wrap if he doesn't need to.

I liked how he described looking for a "mahogany" color, and wrapping to keep from going past that color. I definitely learned a new thing, there.

CD

That mahagony color thing is for all the competition guys.

The brisket he cooks at Franklins is proper BLACK with a real bark. :tsk:

Brisket....the great challenge.

I just did a packer for NYE and nearly every single time I do one I'm humbled when I go to slicing. As Aaron said, one of the hardest things to do is to get a consistent "doneness" throughout.

That one looks amazing and not much like any I've done yet.

Back