MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #196
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Here are instructions for a kettle that are very basic.
Thanksgiving Dinner Part II:
How to grill a turkey

http://www.farmandfleet.com/uploads/...project133.pdf
Thanks. That's what I've done before.
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #197
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
Thanks. That's what I've done before.
I cooked my first turkey on a kettle using a one page version of those instructions from Butterball. I still have a copy, it is dated 2002. For an enhanced turkey, I think just rubbing the outside with oil - I like to use sesame oil - and a simple rub is best.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #198
Doublebeetx
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I am new to the site. Built a UDS a month or so ago. I have smoked some fatties, ribs and a pork butt so far. Still experimenting, but have really enjoyed the experience. My next project is to smoke a turkey for the holidays. I'm learning to debone a turkey this year also. I have picked up some great information reading through this thread. My question is deb owning it going to cause it to cook any differently ? Also, besides citrus and herbs in the cavity, has anyone ever put bacon in there to promote juiciness from the inside out, or is it necessary ? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
Doublebeetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #199
noclss2000
On the road to being a farker

wonderful write-up sir.
I've been debating trying one this year. I do believe im going to do a trial run first so can get an idea if what to expect. Seems I always underestimate my cooking times.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #200
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

HA,
This thread is on its 3rd Thanksgiving! So glad to see its not lost. Looking foreword to cooking up some great stuff this Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #201
spinningwheel

Wampus; thanks very much for starting and bumping this thread. We had discussed smoking our first turkey this year a couple days ago and low-and-behold there is all the info I could possibly use...

Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #202
Tom Sr
Got Wood.

Wampus: thank you I just ordered my turkey cannon. Got my BPS west coast offense last week so I'm all set.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #203
noclss2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningwheel View Post
Wampus; thanks very much for starting and bumping this thread. We had discussed smoking our first turkey this year a couple days ago and low-and-behold there is all the info I could possibly use...
I know, right? The exact same thing happened in my house the other night. I started looking around and BAM!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #204
Humble Soul
Full Fledged Farker

I'll once again be in charge of the bird this year. The last couple of thanksgivings I did a savory brine which turned out well, but always cooked in the oven. This year I was thinking of trying it on the grill, but didn't know if it was possible as I've never done it before. All I have is an 18.5" weber kettle. Doable??

Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #205
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublebeetx View Post
I am new to the site. Built a UDS a month or so ago. I have smoked some fatties, ribs and a pork butt so far. Still experimenting, but have really enjoyed the experience. My next project is to smoke a turkey for the holidays. I'm learning to debone a turkey this year also. I have picked up some great information reading through this thread. My question is deb owning it going to cause it to cook any differently ? Also, besides citrus and herbs in the cavity, has anyone ever put bacon in there to promote juiciness from the inside out, or is it necessary ? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
I've never deboned a gobbler. Not sure how it would affect the cook really.
I've seen where people have deboned and then trussed up a turkey or chicken into a nice tight "roll" so it would cook evenly throughout. While that makes a lot of sense, I'm not sure how it would affect overall cook length.

The one cool thing about NOT deboning and just leaving it "au natural" is that you get more surface area that way which means more smoked skin!

I've also never tried bacon at all on a turkey. Personally, I think if you brine a bird, you'll not have the "juiciness issue" that's usually a challenge for a lot of roasted or smoked turkeys. I'm a BIG proponent for brining in general, but especially for turkeys.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #206
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Soul View Post
I'll once again be in charge of the bird this year. The last couple of thanksgivings I did a savory brine which turned out well, but always cooked in the oven. This year I was thinking of trying it on the grill, but didn't know if it was possible as I've never done it before. All I have is an 18.5" weber kettle. Doable??
I think so.

I've done turkeys on the kettle before and the challenge always seems to be to prevent the sides (legs and thighs) from getting scorched due to the more direct heat from the coals on the sides.

Obviously, it depends on the size of your turkey and how you set up the kettle with charcoal. Perhaps a nice diffuser with coals UNDERNEATH is a good plan of action? You'd have to either lift your diffuser up or hang it from the cooking grate to prevent the direct heat, but I think it may be worth the effort.

ANYTHING is possible. Just depends on the prep and amount of effort you're willing to put into it.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #207
seadad9903
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I've never deboned a gobbler. Not sure how it would affect the cook really.
I've seen where people have deboned and then trussed up a turkey or chicken into a nice tight "roll" so it would cook evenly throughout. While that makes a lot of sense, I'm not sure how it would affect overall cook length.

The one cool thing about NOT deboning and just leaving it "au natural" is that you get more surface area that way which means more smoked skin!

I've also never tried bacon at all on a turkey. Personally, I think if you brine a bird, you'll not have the "juiciness issue" that's usually a challenge for a lot of roasted or smoked turkeys. I'm a BIG proponent for brining in general, but especially for turkeys.
Deboning would shorten the cook time, even with the bird rolled and tied into a roast. The bones seem to soak up a lot of heat and slow down how fast the meat absorbs the heat. As an example, a couple of days ago I made a boneless pork loin roast that cooked in 1 1/2 hours. The recipe I used calls for a loin roast with the ribs still attached, and it takes 2 1/2 hours. Same temp, same oven, add bones = more time.

Having said all of that, use temp as your guide for done-ness and you'll be golden.

I wouldn't worry about the bacon for juiciness. It might add flavor, which is always good. Brining is the way to go, but I usually dry brine with salt and pepper instead of wet brining. In terms of flavor and juiciness between the two I don't see much difference, I dry bring because I don't have the room in my fridge for a turkey in a pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I think so.

I've done turkeys on the kettle before and the challenge always seems to be to prevent the sides (legs and thighs) from getting scorched due to the more direct heat from the coals on the sides.

Obviously, it depends on the size of your turkey and how you set up the kettle with charcoal. Perhaps a nice diffuser with coals UNDERNEATH is a good plan of action? You'd have to either lift your diffuser up or hang it from the cooking grate to prevent the direct heat, but I think it may be worth the effort.

ANYTHING is possible. Just depends on the prep and amount of effort you're willing to put into it.
Never done a turkey on a kettle, but have done an 8 lb chicken. I took an aluminum pan and cut and shaped it so the sides reached all the way up to the bottom of the cooking grate. When I started the charcoal I used the aluminum pieces to corral the coals on the sides and the height acted as shields to limit the amount of direct heat to the chicken. It should work the same for a turkey with some adjustments for the size difference.
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #208
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Soul View Post
I have done many on a 22.5 inch kettle. The trick is to get a bird that will fit between the coals. Trussing the bird can help. Perhaps you could practice with a large chicken to see is it will work.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #209
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
I have done many on a 22.5 inch kettle. The trick is to get a bird that will fit between the coals. Trussing the bird can help. Perhaps you could practice with a large chicken to see is it will work.
You could also try and use a brick or couple of brick stacked on each other to act as heat deflectors. It's the space that I see as a challenge on the 18" kettle.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #210
49erUDS72
Found some matches.

Default smoked rotisserie turkey on the UDS

Im doing my first smoked turkey on the UDS this year, and wanted to know what temp everyone cooked their bird at. I have a brine, and truss down. From what I see everyone is cooking in the 325-400 range. Wouldnt a lower temp, and longer cook provide more smoke flavor? Thanks brothers for the info.
49erUDS72 is offline   Reply With Quote