• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NKC - Snake Saturday, North Kansas City, MO, March 14 & 15, 2008

I have competed at NKC and been a spectator, it was always interesting with the parade, which brought out a lot of drunk people to wonder through your site. I heard they moved the contest site this year away from the parade.

I plan on being up there for the drinkfest on Saturday and I'll do a walk around when we get there. If anyone is cooking, let me know and I'll walk by with a very quick hello as it will be during crunch time.

But if you have any meat ready, I might want to grab a small bite as it's the anti-peta day thing and I won't be cooking since I'll be drinking my meals.

Anyone here going to this or have went to this in the past.
I'm going and was wondering what your thoughts were on this contest.

See ya there.
We have done it in the past, and are doing it again this year. I enjoy it but like someone said you do get some drunks and just plain stupid people walking through your spot saturday.

Is anyone going that might need a spare hand on saturday? I'm thinkin' about going down and getting some ideas on doing my first comp.

I'll probably be around there Saturday with the Fam...Might stop by and say hi..You'll know me because I'll be proudly sport'in my new Brethren hat!!!

Is anyone going that might need a spare hand on saturday? I'm thinkin' about going down and getting some ideas on doing my first comp.

Feel free to stop by. I'd offer you to ride with but my truck it full.

We'll be there for the 3rd year.
A couple of things to know when going in to this one...
It isn't the most organized event you'll compete in. There will be a lot of teams there (91 last year, 84 the year before), which only adds to the confusion. The staff is all volunteers and they do their best, but I think they are a little overwhelmed with all the teams there.
A few examples...
The first year we went we didn't find out until the cooks meeting that chicken turn-in was going to be at 12:30 instead of Noon. Not a big deal to us, but some people were upset as this set their whole time line back.
The final turn-in (maybe dessert?) was at 2 or 2:30 last year...awards didn't happen until after 5pm.
We have never gotten results at the contest. They post one copy of the overall results (imagine 90 teams crowded around two pieces of paper). They say they will post the results on thier website ASAP - one year it was Tuesday afternoon...and they don't put up a PDF of the sheet you would get from the reps - they just type out the finish in place order (don't show scoring).
There are probably other things that upset me the first time around, but I don't recall them now. Oh yeah - no electricity...bring a generator and don't plan to get a peacefull night's sleep with 100 of them running either.

The parade won't be an issue this year - so that's a major hassle out of the way.

If you know all the bad stuff going in, it doesn't seem so bad. Just prepare yourself and take it easy that weekend and you'll have fun.

We'll be there for the 3rd year.
A couple of things to know when going in to this one...
It isn't the most organized event you'll compete in. There will be a lot of teams there (91 last year, 84 the year before), which only adds to the confusion. The staff is all volunteers and they do their best, but I think they are a little overwhelmed with all the teams there.
A few examples...
The first year we went we didn't find out until the cooks meeting that chicken turn-in was going to be at 12:30 instead of Noon. Not a big deal to us, but some people were upset as this set their whole time line back.
The final turn-in (maybe dessert?) was at 2 or 2:30 last year...awards didn't happen until after 5pm.
We have never gotten results at the contest. They post one copy of the overall results (imagine 90 teams crowded around two pieces of paper). They say they will post the results on thier website ASAP - one year it was Tuesday afternoon...and they don't put up a PDF of the sheet you would get from the reps - they just type out the finish in place order (don't show scoring).
There are probably other things that upset me the first time around, but I don't recall them now. Oh yeah - no electricity...bring a generator and don't plan to get a peacefull night's sleep with 100 of them running either.

The parade won't be an issue this year - so that's a major hassle out of the way.

If you know all the bad stuff going in, it doesn't seem so bad. Just prepare yourself and take it easy that weekend and you'll have fun.

Thanks. I've heard this was not organized very well thats why I posted the question. We have a Honda generator so noise from that is not a problem, but I'm sure I'll have to listen to others.

I can't leave until Friday morning from Iowa. In or opinion, what is the best time to show up? Not that I can do anything about my arivial time.

as early as you can is always better for this contest, it is always packed side by side.

With the new location, I can't honestly say. I would hope that it would relieve some of the congestion that has plagued this event. It's really a double edged sword - the contest keeps getting bigger - which is great...but at the same time they really have to pack you in there and things can get a little crazy.

All you can do is just show up when you can and roll with the punches. It will be a lot more enjoyable that way.

It has moved behind the bowling alley in the parking lots.

Reading all that's been posted, I give kudos to Jay (the organizer) for listening to the contestants and making a change. This is privately owned land so the cops can't bag on you for drinks (like they did last year), there will be plenty of parking (so no ones vehicle gets towed away, like last year), there's a warm building to have the awards in (with a bar), so you can enjoy your friends if there is a waiting period for the awards. All the Snake Saturday parade festivities will be where they normally were so there shouldn't be too many parade watchers getting in the way OR sharing the porta potties (hopefully) that we would be using. The judging is also being held in the building so we don't have to go across the parade route either. Jay listened. He came up with a solution. Give him a chance and we'll see how things go this year.

Steph

Hey Steph - I agree. I am really looking forward to it and hope my comments were not percieved as baggin on the event. Before we cooked Lenexa last year, a guy told me all this negitive stuff that comes with cooking there - then he said, "once you get past that, you'll have a great time!" Well, I was prepared and we did end up having a great time.
NKC is one of the contests where I actually sat down and filled out the cook's survey and put it in the mail. Usually I have every intention of doing so, only to find it at the bottom of one of my storage tubs a month later. It is great to see an organizer learning and taking suggestions from participants and really doing something about it! I hope the changes made this year will help this contest continue to grow.

We'll see you out there! Can't wait to hang out in "Slab's Row!"

That's going to be a pretty good place to have it...Know the area all too well...and hey if ya get bored you can always bowl a few games...

I'm going to try and make it so i can meat a few of you farkers...

With the new location, I can't honestly say. I would hope that it would relieve some of the congestion that has plagued this event. It's really a double edged sword - the contest keeps getting bigger - which is great...but at the same time they really have to pack you in there and things can get a little crazy.

All you can do is just show up when you can and roll with the punches. It will be a lot more enjoyable that way.

Just thinking about it, I did pay for an extra site. So hopefully congestion won't be a problem.
I plan on having a great time! Thanks for the info and see ya there.

Well knowing that it is not a well organized event answers questions I had. Char and I started calling in January asking if they needed judges. One time I got a hold of Jay and he gave me a number that when called just rang and rang. About mid Feb, Char called the old number from the voice message you got when calling Jay and finally got a hold of somebody. So after two months of trying to get on the judges list we were told we would be on a waiting list. We told them we were not going to drive three hours to maybe get to judge and to free up that space for others closer.

I was a bit miffed, but sounds like this is par for the course and helps me understand better.

Back