80 Teams?

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So i am doing this non sanctioned event that has the main 4 plus sauce, desert, chili and anything butt. I just found out that there are close to 80 teams.

the guy putting this on has a fireplace/bbq store so i understand wanting publicity and the $$ from doing this at $125 a pop but damn i think that allowning that many teams is a bunch of chit. what do you guys see as avearge teams per contest.

I have to disagree with you on this one. It is not uncommon to see a Sanctioned contest with that many teams. We cooked at New Paltz and they had 60 teams. This weekend New Holland has 72 teams. I know there are contests in Florida and in the Kansas City area that have as many teams. I feel that more teams competing makes a better test of your Que.

So i am doing this non sanctioned event that has the main 4 plus sauce, desert, chili and anything butt. I just found out that there are close to 80 teams.

the guy putting this on has a fireplace/bbq store so i understand wanting publicity and the $$ from doing this at $125 a pop but damn i think that allowning that many teams is a bunch of chit. what do you guys see as avearge teams per contest.

I wouldnt be worried about the number of teams. The lack of sanctioning is always a concern, and how much prize $? The entry fees should come back as prize money, so should be close to 10k....

Not alot of $, but i am doing it more for the fun etc. my concern about the number of teams is that last year there were 48 and it was a mess and not organized well. so thats my concern.

I would share your concerns also if it was unorganized last year this year could be worse with almost double the amount of teams. I have cooked in a few contests with over 80 teams but they have been well organized and had good reps (they were sanctioned) and the number of teams doesn't bother me too much it does make it harder to get a call though. But if you do it makes it that much sweeter.

Not alot of $, but i am doing it more for the fun etc. my concern about the number of teams is that last year there were 48 and it was a mess and not organized well. so thats my concern.

Thats cool, have fun. It would be a concern to me that the contest organizer was making a bunch of cash off of the cooks.

i just found out that all the money goes back to prize money except for the cost to put it on plus advertisisng. last year about 75% went back out

Considering WHERE it's being held, and I know which shop you're talking about, I'm wondering where in the heck they are going to put 80 teams and just how they are going to get electric and water to them.

I'm also shocked that being the same weekend as the Hermann festival that they could draw 80 teams.

its not being held in the lots this year, they moved it to Vlassic park so i dont know how they are handling water/electric. cook meeting tonite so i will know more then.

Back