Smokin'N'Crown

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi fellow brethren, I'm kinda green here and would really appreciate some good advice/ideas on a build I'd like to attempt. I've only been a smokin' for about a year now, but I'd really like to build a new one. I started my smoking skills on a Masterbuilt Pro duel fuel. It's a vertical smoker with a water tray for the heat sink. I've only used charcoal in it though. I'd like to go bigger and with less fuss. I've drawn up plans for a larger version of this same design. But now I'm leaning toward building a GFS or stumps clone. An comments or hints would be helpful.
P.s. I can weld. Not the prettiest, but they hold without holes.

Maybe I should be a little more detailed in my thoughts... What I really want to know is about the baffle plate in the GFS. I always see photos with it sloped. Is this for a heat sink reason or is it for run-off? And, should it be tight to all 4 sides with an opening on the opposite end of the fire box with the hole the same area as the firebox opening? Or, would a water tray work better?

I don't know anything about building smokers (besides my UDS), but when you do build this thing, post pics. :)

So gravity feed is for pellet use instead of an auger? I guess I just can't picture it.

If your idea is so you can add to the firebox during a cook make a pull out firebox with a separate door to it

http://www.hastybake.com/ has them on there cookers

http://www.pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=23362368 has them on there smoker vaults

Many others that have pull out style drawers.

If I am nowhere close to your question I think we need more of an idea about what you want to do.

Go to www.pbbqa.com there are a ton of cloners there. I am currently building one myself. That plate in the cook chamber is a diffuser used to disperse heat so it cooks more evenly. Without the difuser there would be a hot spot right above the transfer tube.

If you look closely at a Stumps, the bottom of the fire chamber is slanted parallel to the diffuser plate. I have to assume this is so that the charcoal from the feed tube doesn't simply pile up at the opening, rather than fill the chamber.

From what I know the bottom of the cook chamber is slanted so that grease drains out.Charcoal should never enter the cook chamber.

The Way these things work is there is a charcoal chute with a grate at the bottom. You fill the chute with charcoal and seal the top by closing the door on the chute. The chute has an ash box below it where you can use a torch to light the charcoal. The door to the ash box has a ball valve to control air flow. The bottom of the chute has a tube called the transfer tube which transfers heat into the cook chamber. Carcoal cannot enter the tube because it's blocked by a piece of expanded metal. The exhaust is located in the cook chamber. As charcoal in the chute is consumed the unlit charcoal falls to continue feeding the fire

Here's a link to a good overview posted on another forum of how these things work http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3862&mforum=smokinjim

Last edited:
Back