Wood Question

QansasjayhawQ

is Blowin Smoke!
I was going to search the existing posts on the forum when I realized that the folks on this forum sure aren't likely to get all over my case for failing to read the FAQ . . . hah hah! I laugh because I just opened the FAQ . . . there's NOTHING about BBQ in there! OK - now I don't feel so bad.

ANYWAY - here's this morning's deal . . .

As I headed out to work in the yard just a bit ago, I realized I have a few mulberry saplings to cut down.

Has anyone ever used mulberry for smoking? (I'm sure you have.)

How did it go? Anything to avoid?

Is it OK to smoke with green sapling wood? I was thinking they are already moistened up from being alive up until just a few moments before I throw them on the coals and that they might make a right sweet smoke . . .

Any hints, clues or otherwise for me?

Thanks!

/David C.

P.S. I was even thinking I might plant mulberry seeds in my garden to raise a couple hundred saplings to harvest just for smoking if this works out good. They grow fast and easy around here.

David, Mulberry is a great smoking wood. Very sweet smelling with a mild flavor.

I would not use unseasoned wood ever in a cooker. Small stuff is fine, but it has to be dried or you'll get nasty sooty smoke.

Back