Spatchcock Turkey Which Smoker?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to Spatchcock 3 15lb turkeys Thanksgiving and have the Shirley Fabrication offset and the Meadow Creek BX50(Cabinet water smoker). I love both smokers and they both have their place for me. This is a cook I do not do often and know they will both get the job done. My question if you had both, which tool would you use for this job, which will give the best end result?
I am brineing these birds.

Last edited:
That really is a "toss up" on which smoker to use; and you know I have a BX50 also. I guess it would come down to a coin flip and a matter of timing of the cook.
I have not done a Turkey on mine yet, so I dont know.
Regardless, Have a Blessed Thanksgiving with your Family.

That really is a "toss up" on which smoker to use; and you know I have a BX50 also. I guess it would come down to a coin flip and a matter of timing of the cook.
I have not done a Turkey on mine yet, so I dont know.
Regardless, Have a Blessed Thanksgiving with your Family.

If it were a long cook would use the BX50 but for a 3 hour cook on a brinded turkey it is a tough call. Both would probably produce a great bird.

Since birds are a pretty short cook, the Shirley. Of course you could always fire up both of them and report back, might want to pick up another bird...

I don't have & never cooked on the BX50, but, I do have a Shirley 24 x 36 that I cooked a 15 lb turkey on 2 weeks ago. I didn't spatchcock...kept it "whole". Brined for a couple of days with Naturiffic's Harvest Brine. Popped it on the middle shelf, drip pan underneath, ran the cooker around 350 degrees. One of the best I've made to date! The gravy made from drippings was exceptionally tasty all thanks to the Harvest Brine.

I don't have & never cooked on the BX50, but, I do have a Shirley 24 x 36 that I cooked a 15 lb turkey on 2 weeks ago. I didn't spatchcock...kept it "whole". Brined for a couple of days with Naturiffic's Harvest Brine. Popped it on the middle shelf, drip pan underneath, ran the cooker around 350 degrees. One of the best I've made to date! The gravy made from drippings was exceptionally tasty all thanks to the Harvest Brine.

What brand of turkey did you cook? Right now I have a plainville 18 lb bird covered in harvest brine. I've read online that these birds taste like crap I think I might have made a big mistake going with this organic free-range bird

What brand of turkey did you cook? Right now I have a plainville 18 lb bird covered in harvest brine. I've read online that these birds taste like crap I think I might have made a big mistake going with this organic free-range bird

That's a good question...don't recall the brand. This time of year, it seems like my wife buys a turkey every time she goes to the supermarket...end up with all kinds.

Back