• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

550 fuel tank to smoker

Well...I saw some fire boxes with them, it was to let more oxygen in if needed? If I have a door and then a vent on the front to let oxygen in while the door is shut, this will be fine???

Personally I can't imagine cooking food in an old diesel tank regardless of the method used cleaning it out but that's just my worthless opinion.

on cutting, fill with water just before you cut and throw in some dry ice... by product.... carbon dioxide.

Now... you are smart... I saw a tank like that and built the meat mama 3000.

The firebox I WISHED I had of built of heavier gauge steel.. I used 12 gauge like the smoke chamber....

[ame]http://youtu.be/gdlNG_gDZ20[/ame]

Note the firebox valves

550 tank to smoker

Should we put the stack on top or on the side of the tank? I've heard some say the heat escapes to quickly with stack at the top.

here's what i built using a 275 gallon oil tank. Runs pretty good and turns out some decent Q.
rear2.jpg

550 tank to smoker

That's awesome! I have a 275 tank also, I was think of cutting it in half and using it for the fire box. You think that would be ok?

Well...I saw some fire boxes with them, it was to let more oxygen in if needed? If I have a door and then a vent on the front to let oxygen in while the door is shut, this will be fine???

Your vents or intakes are to feed air to your fire. Without air the fire won't burn! and you want a small hot fire i have 2 4 inch intakes on my cooker with 2 6 inch exhaust pipes and mine is a 250 gallon cooker. I went a little over kill could have got buy with 1 6 inch exhaust.. :wacko: but hey.. had the pipe so was like.. well chit lets slap it on there! lol You want your intake to be below your fire grate so the air feeds the fire from the bottom and then that heated air/smoke goes into your cooking chamber.. Now your Cookin'! :caked:

That's awesome! I have a 275 tank also, I was think of cutting it in half and using it for the fire box. You think that would be ok?

No way would i use such thin steel for a firebox. Mine is 1/4" thick with firebicks on the bottom. Those tanks are only about 1/8" which is about as thin as i'd go for a cooking chamber. If you used it for a firebox that metal would warp like crazy. The chimney does come out the side and it's removable so when i trailer it somewhere, i pull the stack out, toss it in the bed of my truck and off i go. I need to get a newer pic since i've had some minor changes over the years.

pic1.jpg

Okay, guess that firebox idea is out! I have seen some oval shaped fireboxes out there. Wonder what they are made of? I could always use your idea. (copy cat) lol

It really comes down to what you have for equipment and ability, plus time. You could fabricate one to your specs or try to build one out of other materials, ie propane tank. The one in the pic is 24"x24"x24" and is way more than enough to keep my smoker at 350°. You may want to go a little bigger since you have more area to heat up, but not much bigger. The floor of the firebox is lined with firebricks and i used a fireplace grate so the ashes have a place to go.

it has intakes seen bottom left on both sides.. screw on cap.. to close her off..

Last edited:
What about using 55 gallon barrels cut in half vertically, then placed cut side down with holes cut out. Can you use that as tunning plates?

Not ideal... ideally your tuning plates will be flat pieces at least 1/4 thick (thicker means it last longer.. and holds/Radiates heat better.. the barrell is rounded.. and you won't get the desired effect with it.. it will hamper air flow. Not ideal.. but i have never tried it..

Back