MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #16
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmanz View Post
Hello,

As the title reads I currently use a WSM bullet and am looking to take the next step up. I was checking out the Oklahoma Joe Bandera but seems like it requires alot of mods. My budget is around $400(one day Komodo). Any suggestions will be useful. The reason I'm looking for a different smoker is I want to cook more meat at once. Ideally don't want to tend it every hour but I'm okay if the results come out amazing. Also, curious if the 3 in 1 gas/charcoal/smoker is frowned upon in this community.
Harry Soo hasn't "stepped up", yet.

At your budget, you won't find anythig better. Certainly NOT any OKJ (made by Charbroil) crapola.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

LoL...temp controller for a WSM.

Save your money till you can afford something "more".

You're not going to get anything better than your WSM with your budget.

I cooked 4 butts the other night on my 22.5...set it up, started 20-30 coals in a chimney, prepped (seasoned) the butts, poured the coals in the pit, put the meat on, left one intake wide open, and went to bed. I have no idea where it settled in overnight. The next morning I took a shower, got dressed, and THEN went to take the meat off the pit...first time I looked at it since the night before around 10pm when I started it up. Pit temp was just over 200...took the butts off & went to work (4 minutes away)...it was 6:30am. Wrapped them & there them in a 375 oven for an hour...probed tender so let them rest for an hour.

That's about as trouble free as it gets...and I didn't waste any money on a temp controller.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
If I read your posts right, you have one of the two smallest WSM's available. If I were in your shoes and you want an upgrade but want to keep it around $400, I have a solution for you.

1. Buy a 22" WSM.
2. Buy an Auber temperature controller (LINK)
3. If money is a concern, sell your current WSM on Craigslist. That would most likely cover item #2.

For the temperature controller, go with a 6.5 CFM fan, the standard thermocouple and add the silicone gasket for the blower.

Now you have a larger capacity smoker with a PID control so that it's set it and forget it. If you look at my signature, I own over $30k in BBQ equipment. You want to know what I produced what I feel is the best BBQ of all time? An 18" WSM. You don't need to spend gobs of money to produce good food.

Lastly, there is a WSM competitor at Tractor Supply Company if I recall that people seemed to like. That might be something to look into, since I recall it was cheaper than a WSM. I love Weber though, because their customer service is awesome. I just wish they'd offer full stainless on certain things, because I'm tired of rust! :)

Good luck.
This is exactly my recommendation. I've competed with 4 WSMs (2 22s and 2 18s), a Humphrey's Pint, Stumps, and a Rec-Tec pellet cooker and I'll say without a doubt the WSM is the best cooker for the money.

The Auber temp controller adds a layer of comfort for me. I could easily smoke without it but I tend to be a perfectionist and the Auber gives me peace of mind to worry about other things.

Of course if you want a different smoker just to play around then by all means go for it but for $400 the WSM is the cream of the crop.

BTW there have been many awards won by WSMs in the competition circuit

Oh and as for capacity, I smoked 6 butts this weekend for a party of 70 folks in my 22 WSM. I can fit about 7-8 8lb butts in my 22 WSM and about 6 in my 18 WSM. (Admittedly they were a little crammed but the meat was fantastic)

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #19
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

How is everyone fitting so much meat on their smoker. Maybe I don't have an 18.5 but a 14". How can I tell, this was a leftover from the previous homeowner? Also, do people cook meat on the second grate closest to the coals, how are you able to reach it to gauge temperature?
westcoastmanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #20
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
LoL...temp controller for a WSM.

Save your money till you can afford something "more".

You're not going to get anything better than your WSM with your budget.

I cooked 4 butts the other night on my 22.5...set it up, started 20-30 coals in a chimney, prepped (seasoned) the butts, poured the coals in the pit, put the meat on, left one intake wide open, and went to bed. I have no idea where it settled in overnight. The next morning I took a shower, got dressed, and THEN went to take the meat off the pit...first time I looked at it since the night before around 10pm when I started it up. Pit temp was just over 200...took the butts off & went to work (4 minutes away)...it was 6:30am. Wrapped them & there them in a 375 oven for an hour...probed tender so let them rest for an hour.

That's about as trouble free as it gets...and I didn't waste any money on a temp controller.
LOL. Sometimes adding a tech gadget can cure your desire for something different, simply since it gives you something new to experiment with. I have ran my WSM both ways and if I want a for certain smooth cook when I'm out running errands or sleeping, it's a small price to pay. Waste is a pretty strong word, but hey, it's your opinion.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
How is everyone fitting so much meat on their smoker. Maybe I don't have an 18.5 but a 14". How can I tell, this was a leftover from the previous homeowner? Also, do people cook meat on the second grate closest to the coals, how are you able to reach it to gauge temperature?
you should be able to tell just looking. If not try a "tape measure"

Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

Am I measuring the Vertical from ground to top or the grates? Remember, no such thing as a stupid question just stupid people lol

Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
tom b
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Diameter

Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
westcoastmanz
Found some matches.

I like the idea of adding a temp gadget. Any suggestions?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:

BBQ Guru is the only one I considered for my WSM.

If you want to double your capacity, go to www.ereplacementparts.com and look up the model of your WSM. You can buy just the middle chamber to extend your pit. Add grates and boom, new life to your WSM.
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" & 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Am I measuring the Vertical from ground to top or the grates? Remember, no such thing as a stupid question just stupid people lol
Take lid off and measure diameter across middle of the body.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #27
SmittyJonz

Post a pic of it

You should buy a 22" then take the Slap yo Daddy Harry class.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/classes-2/

Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #28
SmittyJonz

Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #29
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
The one I linked in my post is very economical and works great on the WSM. It does not have WIFI but in all fairness, it doesn't need it. There are several WIFI options, but plan to spend north of $300 to get into one of those setups.

My recommendation was based on your budget.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #30
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

Right o q what are you talking about tired of the rust on a Weber I've had mine 18 years not one bit of rust it's uncovered all the time during winter in Ohio and some winter's you can't even see it because it's covered in 2 feet of snow not one bit of rust on it for 100 dollars I bet you can't name one other grill that can can out last a weber
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandera, Hardware, new smoker