MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default Why Did My RO Briquettes Perform Miserably in My 22.5 WSM Today?

Fired my WSM up for the first time today. I prefer RO briquettes to Kingsford for grilling, so I used them for this too.

Question for more experienced WSM users: why did my 22.5 use an entire 15.4 LB bag of Royal Oak Briquettes in 8 hours today running at 270? This is stunning to me. Many guys are getting 16+ hours out of the same size bag of Kingsford Blue. I cannot believe RO is this much worse. As a matter of fact, one test another guy ran on his website (that another Brethren linked to a while back) showed it to be superior to Kingsford Blue in how long it lasted. Was this just one weird / bad bag of charcoal or something else? It was this exact bag:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Oak-1...hoCvGoQAvD_BwE

Old 07-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Weather is a big factor. They could also be using an ATC. For me, I've never had a bag of kbb go 16+ hours in my 22 and that's all I used.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #3
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin89 View Post
Weather is a big factor. They could also be using an ATC. For me, I've never had a bag of kbb go 16+ hours in my 22 and that's all I used.
What sort of timeframe would you expect to get out of a bag?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I can usually get about 10-12hrs in the 250 range since adding my second grate, not losing as many smaller pieces thru the gaps.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

depending on what kind of Royal Oak you are using makes a big difference and I love the Chef Select the best .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I can usually get about 10-12hrs in the 250 range since adding my second grate, not losing as many smaller pieces thru the gaps.
That is a good point.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #7
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

A 16 pound bag of KBB would get me at most 12 hours running at 250-265 with no ATC or water pan and the stock charcoal grate and basket. This is assuming there was no wind or fluctuations with your heat. I didn't get 16 hour burns until I switched to a Hunskaer Vortex basket in my WSM.

Also, if this is your first time firing it up, you may get less burn time since you don't have any crud in the interior and it is making things too efficient.

Biggest factor that would attribute to a shorter burn time is the usage of the water pan and what meat you were smoking. Huge chunks of meat will take up more heat than say baby back or STL ribs.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #8
Beer/Meat/Victory
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Agree Here. I HAVE had a bag go for 19 hours before, but I've also had to reload around 9-10 hours for other cooks. Weather, wind, etc definitely plays a part. I just buy KBB when the sales hit, and check around the 8 hour mark during a cook. I normally don't give too much thought to burn times due to low cost of charcoal.
Beer/Meat/Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
dcbc
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : DCBC

I cook at about 240 on mine with clay pot bases in the pan and two grates beneath the coals. Also have a CB door. I consistently get 12 hours out of 15.5 lbs of KBB.

Before my most recent cook, I added about an extra 4 lbs to my last cook (piled precariously high above the ring) and added a gasket to the lid. So guessing 20 lbs or KBB, and I have been running steady at 240ish for the last 17 hours. I am floored. I cooked a brisket overnight and threw a rack of spare rips on when I pulled the brisket off.

Update: We're closing in on 19 hours. I just pulled the spares and it's still going at 230 F.

Last edited by dcbc; 07-28-2018 at 04:44 PM..
dcbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
A 16 pound bag of KBB would get me at most 12 hours running at 250-265 with no ATC or water pan and the stock charcoal grate and basket. This is assuming there was no wind or fluctuations with your heat. I didn't get 16 hour burns until I switched to a Hunskaer Vortex basket in my WSM.

Also, if this is your first time firing it up, you may get less burn time since you don't have any crud in the interior and it is making things too efficient.

Biggest factor that would attribute to a shorter burn time is the usage of the water pan and what meat you were smoking. Huge chunks of meat will take up more heat than say baby back or STL ribs.
Very helpful, thank you. Was running dry - no water pan or meat. Just a test run. I would have thought without either meat or water it would have run for at least 12 hours on a bag, but obviously not. Will get 'er figured out!

Tags
kingsford, Royal Oak, WSM 22.5