MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Default cornish game hens

I got a couple of cornish game hens to try out. I've never cooked them before but best way to smoke them? Brine for how long? I normally do my chicken in the 300 range after at least a couple hr brine time. How much different does it taste than regular chicken.
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Flavors a little different, but pretty close, I mean it's poultry right? As small as they are a 1-2 hour brine should do it, then cook hot and fast at 350-375 to IT of 160, shouldn't take long.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook them just like chicken.

It's actually an 4-5 week old hybrid chicken bred to have a large breast. If they grow beyond that they are unable to walk due to the over-sized breast. We used to butcher ours at 6 weeks to get beyond the 3lb size.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here's a good simple recipe, with a how-to video.

4-Layer Barbecued Game Hens

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Well I didn't login soon enough to see your tutorial Patio but will consider it for next time.

I smoked them on my weber grill at 300 w/ some cherry chips & B&B lump for 2.5hrs. I brined them in a brine similar to Diva Q citrus brine for 3 hrs then washed/dried/let sit for about 1 hr before seasoning w/ a rub. They came out ok but were on the tough side but temp wise were 160's/180's. Is the toughness due to not brined long enough or just the way the CGH are? The diva Q brine can be done overnight but I normally do several hrs even on breasts but thought that might be too long for a CGH. The dog liked the leftovers so there was one fan of them but then she'd give all 10's to anything set down for her.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Were you trying to make chicken jerky? You cooked them about twice
as long as you needed.

Live and learn...

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

I was going more by meat temp than time it took from some diff google recipes I'd found googling, it just took that time to reach the 160/180. Well at least the dog ate a good meal so it wasn't a big loss

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

I did Cornish Hens for Christmas and I cooked 4 of them , it only took about 1 hour and fifteen minutes at 350. I brined mine over night, so they were ridiculously juicy.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

I'll second Patio Daddio's 4 layer chicken. I tried it here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149072 and it was just wonderful.

On your temp. what kind of thermometer did you use? You might want to try another one or at least check that one. Something seems amiss. It should never have taken that long.