uds minion method

hillbilly

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
hello has anyone here use uds wouthout using minion method i know im probably the only one but my little offset seems to produce better flavor i was wondering if it might be the min method

I would think you would have two issues to deal with without the MM. One, excessive temp levels because of several lit coals and two, fuel consumption because of the same issue.

Grease falling in the coals can change the flavor compared to an offset. Also, if the vent in your UDS is keeping the smoke in longer (because it's too small) that gives a different flavor too. If you put the food in the UDS before the fire is ready (white thick smoke) that can impact flavor too.

Last edited:
Whats the minion method? I just light some coals with the weed burner and when it gets up to temp and the smoke turns blue I throw on the meat.

hello has anyone here use uds wouthout using minion method i know im probably the only one but my little offset seems to produce better flavor i was wondering if it might be the min method
I have the same problem with uds. My offset produces better bbq than my uds. My uds works good for shoulders, but ribs, and chicken, no way. My uds holds the temps for a long time, but I just dont care for the flavor. Many here like the uds, I tried it, not for me. Just my opinion.

I have the same problem with uds. My offset produces better bbq than my uds. My uds works good for shoulders, but ribs, and chicken, no way. My uds holds the temps for a long time, but I just dont care for the flavor. Many here like the uds, I tried it, not for me. Just my opinion.

Do you think it's the flavor from the drippings falling into the coals or something else that you don't like?

Open all vent, you won't have to worry about low and slow or minion method:biggrin:

Do you think it's the flavor from the drippings falling into the coals or something else that you don't like?
I'm not sure to be honest. I found that using Stubbs charcoal was a mistake. That stuff will not stop sparking, and smells like chit. I have now got my hands on a ton of Royal Oak and it seems better, but not as good as when I use my offset. The idea of the flavor drippings is why I tried the uds. The bbq that comes out of the uds looks great, but the flavor is odd.

I'm not sure to be honest. I found that using Stubbs charcoal was a mistake. That stuff will not stop sparking, and smells like chit. I have now got my hands on a ton of Royal Oak and it seems better, but not as good as when I use my offset. The idea of the flavor drippings is why I tried the uds. The bbq that comes out of the uds looks great, but the flavor is odd.
Don't try original kingsford, use comp kingsford or better then briqqs is Ro LUMP.

Can you describe the flavor?

I was thinking about going tomorrow to buy the stuff to build a UDS. The guy who posts here and sells them at a premium says on his website that they impart an old-timey BBQ flavor...not sure now that I would like that "flavor."

Maybe a drip pan would help? I had thought about building one, then using racks in hotel pans for the smoking. Anybody know if that would help?

Back