MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Spatchcocked yardbird on the kettle

Picked up the new model 22.5 OTG so I had to break it in. Covered my victim with some plowboys yardbird and cooked it at about 375. She's coming along nicely....

I'll try to get some more pron after it comes off......

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good!
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

The pics aren't the best, I ran out time. Wifey is 7 months prego so she got a bit impatient. Overall I'm pleased with results. The apple wood added a real nice flavor.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks great! I did 2 spatchcocked birds last night on my BGE indirect at 325. Came out great and I am thinking that is a real good temp for yardbirds....
Nice post!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

That looks great.

I've heard overwhelmingly positve comments about Plowboy's Yardbird rub. I've never tried and my local guy is sold out. He said the holiday shoppers wiped him out.

I've got a couple cans ordered that should be here next week.

I'm spatching some more birds on Thursday, I believe....and wangs on Superbow Sunday.

I did some last week with Willingham's Cajun rub that turned out great. Really looking forward to the Plowboy's. I also ordered their beef rub and a can of their fur n' fin stuff as well as some of their 180 sauce.

The color on your bird is great, too. Have fun with the new grill and yeah, apple wood with chicken is great !!!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Looks great! I did 2 spatchcocked birds last night on my BGE indirect at 325. Came out great and I am thinking that is a real good temp for yardbirds....
Nice post!

325-350 is where I was with my two birds last week. My family really enjoyed them. Tender, juicy and just right.

Can't wait to get some more done on Tuesday or Thursday of next week.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Nice post!
Thanks Marty! I feel like 325-375 is where ya gotta be to get the best bird possible. I actually started out at around 375 and after the skin was looking nice I let it cruise at around 325. Yummy!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
That looks great.

I've heard overwhelmingly positve comments about Plowboy's Yardbird rub. I've never tried and my local guy is sold out. He said the holiday shoppers wiped him out.

I've got a couple cans ordered that should be here next week.

I'm spatching some more birds on Thursday, I believe....and wangs on Superbow Sunday.

I did some last week with Willingham's Cajun rub that turned out great. Really looking forward to the Plowboy's. I also ordered their beef rub and a can of their fur n' fin stuff as well as some of their 180 sauce.

The color on your bird is great, too. Have fun with the new grill and yeah, apple wood with chicken is great !!!
You're gonna love the plowboys yardbird, it's good stuff. I love the color it adds too. I also like plowboys fin and feather.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
You're gonna love the plowboys yardbird, it's good stuff. I love the color it adds too. I also like plowboys fin and feather.

Excellent !!!!

I'm eagerly awaiting this stuff arriving. My chicken rubs have just about run out....except for some Montreal Chicken rub that I have for rainy days.

My hunger is building now !!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
cricky101
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great! And I'm a big fan of the Yardbird too. Still working through the 5lb bag I bought a while ago.

Do you remember about how long you cooked your chicken? I haven't done a spatchcocked bird in quite a while and I'm trying to remember if it's something I can do on a weeknight easily for a late dinner ...
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Nicely done sir.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks delicious! I just made some of these up... in the OVEN! They were good, but I was looking forward to smoking them. I just didn't have the time with everything I had to do yesterday, and nothing else thawed out besides those chickens I had just bought.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice colour!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Robicus129
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great! I will have to try that and yardbird rub. Seems like it gets great reviews.