MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Those that Own BOTh 18.5 + 22.5 in Kettles

To Those That Own Both the 18.5 + 22.5 weber Kettles ..How Often Do you Use the 18.5 ? Wifes getting another kettle, We already have 22 and 26 in kettles But Dont know if the 18 is too Small ? or perfect for wings Etc. Or should I just get the 18 so I have 4 diff size kettles including smokey joe ? Or ...
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i had an 18 for over 1.5 years before using it. found i really liked it for direct cooking. plus it used a lot less coals than my 22. not sure i would buy a new one though. maybe cl if yer not in a hurry. umm, yer still missing a few webers

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Don't overthink it. Just get it. There is no such thing as having too many grills.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Both is REALLY the answer you're hoping for isn't it?!?! It's the only one I know how to give!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
davefan360
Take a breath!

I like both, I use my 18.5 when it I am just cooking some meet for me. It holds 2 nice stakes just right.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Meat Meets Meat
On the road to being a farker

I have an 18.5 Jumbo Joe that I use quite a bit. I also gave two 22.5 kettles and used both of them too so I might not be the best person to ask.
XL BGE, Two L BGEs, 22.5 SS Performer Blue, 22.5 Weber Kettles (Grey, Green, Brown, Red, Two Tone Red) 22.5 WSM, Three 18.5 WSMs, Mini WSM, Rib-o-lator, Green Thermapen, Stoker with wifi
Meat Meets Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got both a 22 and 18 and like both. The 18 is nice for doing brats or burgers, or maybe 2 or 3 steaks. Uses less charcoal which is always a plus.

The 22 is nice for cooking for more of a crowd, say 4-6 people. Plus i've found the 22 is better for indirect than the 18 simply due to the size. You get more distance between the charcoal and the meat on the 22.

So, that said, get an 18 if you cook for smaller groups but honestly if you have a 22 and 26 already the only thing an 18 will do for you is save charcoal.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have both also and use each for specific things. Like above the little guy is good for steaks, burgers, etc. or a small smoke for just the wife and I. Pull the trigger.....
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

I have several 22 OTG's an 18 OTS and a Smokey Joe Platinum (Jumbo Joe 18").
I use my 22's quite often (3+ times a week year round) and the SJP a couple times a month for small cooks for just me and my wife or over flow if I'm grilling several items at once or want to smoke some mashed potatoes for a side, etc...
the 18 OTS sits in the garage most of the time with her legs off for storage.

I would highly recommend getting a Jumbo Joe if you are wanting to add an 18" to the family...you won't regret it!
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

I have both and probably use them equally- different tools for different jobs.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We have a couple smoky Joe platinums. Have used them for years tailgating, and used to use one in comps too. Then I scored an 18" kettle on CL for 15 bucks, and, being 6'6", my back likes it a lot better than the sj's! We pull off the legs and carry it inside our 22.5 WSM for transport. Definitely worth having, but watch Cl before you spring for one new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Far be it from me to ever discourage anyone from buying another grill, but other than my Smokey Joe Gold my 18.5 kettle is my least used kettle grill. Doesn’t mean I don’t use it, I just don’t use it very often. It is a great little grill but the only times when I use it are when the big grills are tied up. Your mileage may vary.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
brownkw
On the road to being a farker

I personally prefer my 22.5" kettle. Gives me the option for cooking indirect.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

I have both, and use them depending on the size of my cooks. I've used both for steaks, burgers, wings, etc... I'll use the 18 for stuffed jalapenos, wings, sausage, and other small items if I have a larger piece of meat going on the 22 or in my BWS Fatboy.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I grill, I'm grilling for 6 (at least) so I usually use the 22(s). I have used the 18 for grilling a side or something when it won't fit on the 22.

I often take the 18 to comps for dinner since that's usually just for 2-3 people.