Is it legal?

mobow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If I had a couple of heat lamps on my prep table would they be legal?

So, at a cold contest, are you able to do bring meat into your RV which is heated by propane?

You're comparing apples and oranges. The heater in an RV is not heating the meat. It should be hotter than the RV temp when it comes out of the cooker. A heat lamp is an electric heat source that will heat the food.

I always find it interesting that things like electric heat lamps are illegal, but all of the electric controlled draft mechanism's are not.

So, at a cold contest, are you able to do bring meat into your RV which is heated by propane?

Great point. And to further this discussion what about the heat from the Sun? it can get hot as hell during the summer. Is that legal? Now I'm not an entamologist, but doesn't that sucker run on mostly gas(es)?? Definitely not legal :becky: :behindsofa:.

I always find it interesting that things like electric heat lamps are illegal, but all of the electric controlled draft mechanism's are not.

Also apples and oranges. Pits with draft controllers still use wood or charcoal for the heat source.

I do have a couple 100W light bulbs above my table and they do put out quite a bit of heat, but I never thought that they were illegal. They will definitely reduce the cooling rate of the meat.

Great point. And to further this discussion what about the heat from the Sun? it can get hot as hell during the summer. Is that legal? Now I'm not an entamologist, but doesn't that sucker run on mostly gas(es)?? Definitely not legal :becky: :behindsofa:.

Even the KCBS board can not control the act of God. :crazy:

I do have a couple 100W light bulbs above my table and they do put out quite a bit of heat, but I never thought that they were illegal. They will definitely reduce the cooling rate of the meat.

Hmmm, so is my 500w work light illegal if I happen to leave it on over my prep table since my eyesight is poor? If it is illegal, are KCBS rules discriminatory against old farts with physical impairments?

This was discussed a few years back. I think there was a rep advisory on it. My memory says heat lamp illegal, regular bulb legal.

Wow, I must say I have been guilty of doing this. I never even considered it might be against the rules. Funny thing is I shigged it from a former KCBS Team of the Year lol.

I can't say that it really helps anyway, it just seems to me like it dries the food out.

Thanx for the replies. I thought it probably was but it does then raise the question of how many watts does it take before it is considered a heat lamp verses a hot light bulb? Keith

What if a person heated a metal plate (grill top) on their smoker, then used it on the table top to prepare their meat using the residual heat from the metal to keep things warm? Seems like that might do the same job as a heat lamp, but from below instead of above.

What if a person heated a metal plate (grill top) on their smoker, then used it on the table top to prepare their meat using the residual heat from the metal to keep things warm? Seems like that might do the same job as a heat lamp, but from below instead of above.

Legal I'd say since it is not powered by electric or gas. They even make cambros that you can plug in to warm a heating plate of some sorts that sits in the door I think and you can use the electricity to warm them, but before you put the meat in the box you have to unplug it.

I seem to recall Pizza Stones being used exactly like this.

If I had a couple of heat lamps on my prep table would they be legal?

I am probably missing something. :oops:

What would be the purpose other than to keep your hands warm in cold weather?
Just can not envision any competitive advantage.

Thanks,

TIM

Back