MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed
Default 1st Pork Loin Crown Roast w/ pics

So I've been chosen to burn meat for my sis-in-law & best friend's anniversary party this saturday.

They've had everything I've ever cooked up so I wanted to try something different.

Safeway had pork loin half back sliced on sale for $1.29/lb this week but it looked like the same cut of meat that the crown roast came from, butcher confirmed that but was all cleaned up for the night & told me to come back tomorrow and he'd have 2 ready for me.

Well there musta been some sort of mistake cuz when the wife picked em' up it was only $11.93 for BOTH crown roasts! The sticker before club card use said $47! Sweet!

Here's what I do'd to em' so far...

Made a "cure" of:
4TBS TQ
1TSP Homemade chipotle powder
1TSP dried basil
1/2TSP crushed red pepper
1/2TSP crunched up rosemarry
2TSP chili powder
1TSP garlic granuals

Lightly rubbed them and had about 4TBS of rub left

Let them sit for 24 hours in the garage... relax, it's about 15* in there, and the hanging deer was gettin' lonely. Meat was @ 32.8* and smelled incredible.

My plan was to give these a little bit of time to dry cure and then turn that into a mild brine so that it's not over salted. I dumped the last 4TBS of rub into enough water to cover the racks.

Normaly I would bring the brine to a boil and let it steep to bring out the herbal flavors, but I wanted to try it cold and see what results I would get.

And there they sit untill tomorow morning, I'll drain and rinse them and let them dry a bit before smoking.

Thanks for lookin!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

looks good so far, good luck....

loved the deer hanging in the garage comment. that is farking cold!
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cliffhangar mod!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjus77 View Post
looks good so far, good luck....

loved the deer hanging in the garage comment. that is farking cold!
Hmm, your sig... I'm a skinny cook... so... whadaya sayin?? =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Cliffhangar mod!
Dun-dun-duuuun!!!

I figured it would be a massive post if I waited till after everything was done, and yeah, it's funner this way!

Now off to cut up a frozen deer!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]

Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
deguerre

Chainsaw mod on the frozen deer! Eagerly awaiting the results.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Chainsaw mod on the frozen deer! Eagerly awaiting the results.
Yeah, it should be fun... It's dumping snow and the wind is supposed to pick up later today.

At least it warmed up from 10* to 20.5*

Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Alrighty!! It turned out pretty stinking good if I do say so myself!

I did not stuff it with anything for the reason that Landarc mentioned, I don't stuff turkeys either stuffing can't hit temp before the bird is done - over cooking it isn't an option! =)

Ron, the TQ did make a difference in it... It gave it a little tiny bit of a ham'ish flavor but not too much, the color came out great too! The brine gave it nice flavor throughout and kept it moist, although if I were to do the same cut again, I would do it as a standing rib roast, it didn't have quite the juices running out that I know would normally be there in a whole uncut loin.

Also I was kinda worried about it not hitting temp so I left it on the grill till 155 and then foil'd it and put it in a warmed up cooler with blankets for about 45 min before everything else was ready, that prolly contributed to it not being quite as moist as I wanted it.

Here's some prono! Sorry for the crappy pics, everyone thought that I had drank too much eggnog with my picture taking for some BBQ forum... Phssshh! Whatever!

They look a bit darker than they were... but the color comes from the spritz I hit em' with during the cook, the little bit of honey & soy sauce browns em' up real nice

Thanks fer lookin! And thanks you to those who helped with ideas!

I forgot to snap a pic before I dug in!

Last edited by KnucklHed BBQ; 12-13-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
NorthwestBBQ

Looks great Knuckle! BTW don't ever give your dad any coffee!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Those aren't crown roasts .... them is tiara roasts!

Looks good.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
jestridge

Looks wonderfula very good choice.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
landarc

Nice job on those roasts, looks good. One more thing, if you would prefer the bones look less black, you can always wrap foil over them, lets em stay whiter.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks incredible!!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
deguerre

The wait was worth it. Those are beautiful!
Now, about that deer...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the nice comments guys, and I appreciate the help when I needed it most!