MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Egg Wins

Based on my limited experience, there is no better cooker than an Egg. After cooking hundreds of slabs on various WSMs and a BW FatBoy, I cooked perfection last night on a LBGE, and didn't even try.

I've had an XL for a couple of years, but limited its use for butts, roasting and grilling. My WSMs have always been my first choice for ribs, and they do a good job on butts too. I did Harry's Soo's class a couple of years ago and learned his way, and it worked out pretty well, but not as well as what I did last night on a BGE.

After moving, I recently bought a large. I had a couple of slabs of spares in the fridge that were going to go bad, so I dusted them with SM Sweet and Spicy and threw them on. No prepping and rubbing the night before, no spraying or foiling with apple juice, brown sugar and honey, nope, none of that.

I threw them on and forgot about them until I glazed them with Bart's Blazin' Q BBQ Sauce. Pulled them at about 5 hours at which time I tasted the best slab of ribs that I've ever made.

I suck at brisket, however, the absolute best brisket that I've ever tasted came off of an Egg, thanks go John (R2Egg2Q). Harry's isn't even close.

They aren't cheap but I'm finally sold. Time to get rid of the WSMs and buy another LBGE. Can't forget plenty of Bart's insanely good sauce to go with 'em.

...time to go check on my boneless leg of lamb.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I completely agree that ribs on an Egg are simple and really damn good. My large BGE is my cooker of choice for ribs. Glad yours came out great and really happy to see you posting again!!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

+1 egghead; 2 larges and a mini.
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have mad respect for all the cookers....and even more for the cooks that use them but I love my BGE
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

How many rib racks can you lay flat on a LBGE?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
6-8 if you have the right accessories.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I own a bunch of different cookers,WAY more than in my profile,I need to update that.The BGE is the PRIMA DONNA in my arsenal.Great choice.Congrats.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Ross in Ventura
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
I can do 4 with an extended grid
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=118469

Ross

Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Enjoy mine a lot. Sits on my deck outside the kitchen where I can see the thermometer from inside. Great on really hot or really cold days. Ribs are my favorite cook. Can do 4 slabs of trimmed spares on the Adjustable Rig... 6 if I want to put the stone on the spider and use all 3 racks for meat. If I use the Digi Q, I can set it and forget it... Just like a pellet smoker.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
FremontSmoke
Got Wood.

Does that mean you're looking to sell a WSM locally?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

Sounds like you have a great cook, congrats.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Egg are damn fine cookers, but you're giving it too much credit. The cook deserves some of the praise as well.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

For the price of a large green egg I myself would rather a backwoods smoker a party is dam close to the same price

Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to hear your passion for BBQ has continued!

In fairness, that BW Fatboy just wasn't the right cooker for the backyard cook. It has done ok in contests though. It went on a road trip to KC a couple months ago and represented very well. :)

Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't be fooled, folks. The BGE is the only cooker that you should be using.

Actually, I'm just kidding, there are plenty of fine cookers out there, and the BWS that huminie bought from me was one of them. It was just overkill for what I was trying to do.

Between my ribs that other night, and John's brisket, I'm convinced that the BGE is a great smoker. I do, however, prefer a kettle for grilling.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->