Hillbilly Hog - Cleveland, GA - Pics and report

Uncle Buds BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This weekend was the 4th annual Hill Billy Hog Throwdown in the north GA mountains. New location this year at the Cabbage Patch hospital called Babyland where families can tour and "adopt" the dolls. This was the first I had heard of this place I guess because we raised boys.

I went up Friday afternoon and took a lot of pictures. I'll post them 10 at time so it may take awhile between watching football.

I'll end with a sightly different report today.

The property was huge with the teams located in a large field on the right and the vendors and kids stuff on the left.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Here is the "hospital" above the festival area. Turn in will be on the far right side of the building.

03.JPG

04.JPG

40.JPG

So I'm snapping pics and the guy on the left says "hey..are you guy from the Brethren?" and I reply "Yep, do you post there?" and he says "I'm wampus and this is indianagriller!"

They traveled all the way from Indiana to compete! Gotta love the Brethren!!! Thanks for coming!!!

41.JPG

You just might see Lazy Bear on an upcoming episode of Pitmasters that was filmed in Atlanta last month.
42.JPG

43.JPG

More Brethren!!! Can you guess his handle? Hint...note the hat!
44.JPG

45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

50.JPG

Cooks meeting in a nice large room at Babyland.
80.JPG

81.JPG

"This is a clock!"
82.JPG

"I don't know why the judges hate your chicken" :wink:
83.JPG

Nice awards!
84.JPG

Out back the organizer had cookers going to feed the teams.
85.JPG

86.JPG

87.JPG

88.JPG

89.JPG

Turn in was a little bit of a hike
98.JPG

99.JPG

100.JPG

Due to the long walk many folks got to the turn in table real early.
101.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

Nice chicken Brad. The picture does not do its color justice.
104.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

108.JPG

109.JPG

w

Awards were presented outside.
110.JPG

111.JPG

1st place chicken - Big JT's Smokin BBQ
123.JPG

1st place ribs - Que'n Stew'n & Brew'n
124.JPG

1st place pork - South Pork
125.JPG

1st place brisket - Georgia Boys BBQ Team
126.JPG

Grand Champion: Que'n Stew'n & Brew'n
Reserve Champion: Wicked Que

Judge Report

We had 6 tables of 6 judges each. Only one was a first time judge and there were 3 who had less than 5. Doug, the rep., made sure they were all sitting at different tables. There were a ton of master judges.

I gave my seat up for the new judge. He was told he would work pro and then backyard but there were a lot of extra judges so I worked the turn in area. I really wanted to eat this one because of all of the great teams competing but I was glad to help out a new judge.
I was able to talk to the tables between each turn in and this is what I heard.

Chicken
Out of the 34 teams there were 3 boxes of legs and 2 boxes of beasts. Funny thing was that 2 of the leg boxes hit the same table. Consensus was that 2 of the legs were good and 1 was great. Of the breast entry only one was worthy of high scores.

A few of the boxes had parsley and a bed of shredded chicken to support thighs. Judges opinions were that in most cases the shredded was not as good as the thigh and may have pulled the score down. When I judge and there is more than one style of meat presented I average the score for both taste and tenderness of the different styles.

Ribs
Ribs are ribs! Many good…some not so good. One table had a cold rib entry. Judges are taught not to score down a cold piece of meat but subconsciously it affects what you think of the entry.

Pork
I heard lots of good comments on pork entries. I went over to the grazing table. This is where the boxes go after the tables have received the samples and finished scoring. At the grazing table the meat is removed (and usually kept for the volunteers), the garnish is dumped and the boxes are kept until after the contest and then recycled. What I noticed was 100% of them had garnish and about 80% of it was parsley. The other 20% was leafy green lettuce without parsley.

Brisket
Many different comments. Half good and the other after bad. I think lots of teams struggle with this meat. What else can I say!

Overall
Great contest. Good location…teams seemed happy and judges too. Hope to be back to this one.

I’m off next weekend doing family stuff but hope to return for 2 more contests as a judge and will compete in one as the contest season in GA winds down for the year. Look for my end of the year report Secrets from the Judges Tent were I’ll detail what I have learned this year being on the inside!

Till next time…

Thanks for the pics!

Are those grapes on the judges table? I have only seen crackers used to clean the palate.
Yes, those are grapes. We started seeing them a few months ago and I have no idea how they got started here. I like the crackers also because it's my only source of fiber. :pound:

Dave,
I can not Thank You enough for your Review Treads--not just this one, but the ones that have gone before.

They transport folks to the event and then have some good feedback which is a super thing for those who were not there.

Well done and Keep it up if ya can!!

TIM

Dave,
I can not Thank You enough for your Review Treads--not just this one, but the ones that have gone before.

They transport folks to the event and then have some good feedback which is a super thing for those who were not there.

Well done and Keep it up if ya can!!

TIM
Tim - Thanks for saying something. I appreciate it and will keep posting the reviews until it isn't FUN anymore!

Back