MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
jmoney7269
Banned

1. 3 bolts for racks instead of 4 to minimize rocking and easy removal if you have 2 racks

2. Ash pan attached to charcoal basket

3. Weber lid

4. Weed burner to light coals, da hell with chimney starters! Trust me. Takes 2 minutes.

5. Handles on each side for easy handling
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

1. Big 10" wheels to get it through the grass.
2 Removable shelf for transporting it easier.
3. 1" pipe nipples instead of 3/4" to get higher "hot and fast" temps.
4. All black color so that grease stains weren't so apparent.
5. Some way to attach an umbrella in case of rain.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

N8man that is one awesome drum!
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I made 3" makeshift daisy wheel for mine, so I wouldn't have fumble with a valve and caps. The highest temp I have maintained so far has been 450. May have been able to go higher but didn't want to burn off any of that yummyness on the inside.
How did you create this? I like it!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpi906 View Post
Hey Heisenberg, Did the inside just rust out from it getting rained on, or what? Anything you could have done to prevent it? Anything I can do to mine post-burnout to help with not having that problem? Or is it just a fact of life with a non-stainless drum?
This was completely my fault. It got rained on and I used flimsy cover. I didn't realize it went into the drum and was running down the inside walls. Since I didn't clean it for a long while the rust built up. Now I am just too lazy to wash and wire wheel the inside so I just cook on the farking thing. You should be fine with a nice layer of seasoning

Last edited by Heisenberger; 05-10-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I think I will add more intake to my next build. Question is, lets say on my next build I want to use two 1'' nipples... do those 1" nipples thread into a 1-1/4" hole? I'm a bit confused with the NPT pipe standard. If I wanted to make a 1-1/2" intake (thus 1.25" nipple) does that just thread into a 1.5" hole? From what I understand you just add an extra 1/4" to make up for the diameter difference? or is each hole/nipple different?
I've searched the forums but can't seem to find an answer to this...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

It's great to hear from people and I hope others find this thread helpfull.
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
racecar8791
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
I think I will add more intake to my next build. Question is, lets say on my next build I want to use two 1'' nipples... do those 1" nipples thread into a 1-1/4" hole? I'm a bit confused with the NPT pipe standard. If I wanted to make a 1-1/2" intake (thus 1.25" nipple) does that just thread into a 1.5" hole? From what I understand you just add an extra 1/4" to make up for the diameter difference? or is each hole/nipple different?
I've searched the forums but can't seem to find an answer to this...
Here's a good link to pipe sizing info. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-pipesizes.html

When I drilled mine I just marked the step/uni bit where the nipple I.D. was and once I got just past that point during drilling I started test fitting the nipple and making small adjustments until the nipple threaded in nice and snug.
racecar8791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverWild View Post
I'm finding that even with a cover I have surface rust when it rains, probably the 90%+ humidity lately. If I leave the cover off then I find a pool of water in the drum so I know it's going to rust out pretty quickly. I believe the water is coming in through the smoke stack threads and closed bung threads. I plan to try either JB Weld or real weld to seal it up. Besides the fact it won't rust like these steel units, stainless looks great. For my next I'm looking at Bubba's Barrel's. They are far below the $500 price point. I don't know if they are 400 or 300 series stainless? With the lower price point they might be 400?
400 stainless steel can still rust. You need 300 series. 400 doesn't have nickel

Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #25
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar8791 View Post
Here's a good link to pipe sizing info. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-pipesizes.html

When I drilled mine I just marked the step/uni bit where the nipple I.D. was and once I got just past that point during drilling I started test fitting the nipple and making small adjustments until the nipple threaded in nice and snug.

Thanks for the info. I guess the bigger the size, the larger the difference between outside and inside diameter. I'm sure as long as the hole is close enough in size to OD, it will eventually catch a thread. Reason I'm asking is because I was planning on using hole saws this time, I had some trouble with the step bit. Maybe I will test the saws out on a pizza pan first