MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Question 18.5" WSM and Royal Oak chunks

When aiming for a low and slow (225* F) Boston Butt or brisket cook on an 18.5" WSM using Royal Oak chunk charcoal, how much RO do you put on the charcoal grate and in the chimney starter

I have been having a hard time keeping RO under 300* F in the WSM, what am I doing wrong
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

How new is your WSM? If it is new, it will run hot the first few cooks. No need to worry.

Hot & Fast works just fine. Try Kingsford Blue first to see if that helps with temp control.

Lump does burn hotter.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

use water in the pan. it will help keep the temps down.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

I use a mix of kingsford blue and RO lump. I am not sure what chimney starter you are using but I use a weber and fill it about 1/3 of the way full when starting my fire. I put a layer of kingsford on botton to prevent the small pieces of of RO from falling through into ash pan.

Mine seems to want to cruise in the 275-300 range so I would say 300 is normal.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

How much coal you put on the grate depends on how long you plan the cook to last.

When using lump, make sure you pack it in as tight as possible. It helps to limit air flow, thus increasing control over temp.

To get to your temps, I'd start with about a half a chimney of lit.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

I always fill my charcoal ring to the top, with 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of wood mixed in the charcoal. I light it in 3 places with a high output propane torch and let it burn for a bit before putting it together. I then let it slowly come up to cooking temperature before I put the food on.

I do not use water, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan. I have no problem running it low or high.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Excess heat usually means too much air is getting in. This is pretty normal on a new WSM. Something else to check is how even the joints are. There is often some out of round in the middle, bottom and lid sections. You can try to straighten them out or just rotate the sections until the gap at the joining looks the same all the way around (matching the out of round of the different parts.)

Also check that the door lies flat to the middle section.

I usually start with one bottom vent half open in warm weather or fully open in cold weather once I close up the smoker.

The other cause would be lighting too much charcoal to begin with.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Excess heat usually means too much air is getting in. This is pretty normal on a new WSM. Something else to check is how even the joints are. There is often some out of round in the middle, bottom and lid sections. You can try to straighten them out or just rotate the sections until the gap at the joining looks the same all the way around (matching the out of round of the different parts.)

Also check that the door lies flat to the middle section.

I usually start with one bottom vent half open in warm weather or fully open in cold weather once I close up the smoker.

The other cause would be lighting too much charcoal to begin with.

I totally agree on the airflow and not overlighting at the beginning.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
How new is your WSM? If it is new, it will run hot the first few cooks. No need to worry.

Hot & Fast works just fine. Try Kingsford Blue first to see if that helps with temp control.

Lump does burn hotter.
Exactly, after a few cooks my 18.5 WSM is dialed in.