MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
hart316
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Are you guys talking english?

I didn't think they were speaking English either, but I followed by reading the subtitles!
hart316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #32
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreefrb View Post
First prototype

Excellent work there , enough to make me choose to buy the wifi guru , I figured the data was available to capture when I first saw the new guru, and I'm glad to see the collection and graphing is doable in winform which lends credence to belief that it's doable for all platforms. Given the time and effort. I sure hope someone at guru is paying attention to this effort here. This is a product that would benefit greatly with some good apps.

As soon as I can get mine from 5-0 I'd love to do any beta testing that might be needed.

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #33
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Had some time today to add a couple more features.

palmtreefrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
Excellent work there , enough to make me choose to buy the wifi guru , I figured the data was available to capture when I first saw the new guru, and I'm glad to see the collection and graphing is doable in winform which lends credence to belief that it's doable for all platforms. Given the time and effort. I sure hope someone at guru is paying attention to this effort here. This is a product that would benefit greatly with some good apps.

As soon as I can get mine from 5-0 I'd love to do any beta testing that might be needed.
Downey eh, I'm here in Buena Park neighbor

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
BobM
Babbling Farker

Love the analog gauges palm!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #36
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Downey eh, I'm here in Buena Park neighbor
Yes we are very close

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
fatdoggie
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thumbs up

Nice work palmtreerfb! That's looking very nice.

I didn't do any coding this weekend, but I did manage to smoke a pork shoulder overnight with the CyberQ this weekend.

Here's my observations:
  • When I first power the unit up with email alarms are enabled, it beeps for a LONG time before it finally shuts up and finishes the startup process. At first I thought something was broken! Maybe the inital beeping shouldn't start until after the SMTP initialization is complete
  • In my BGE, the PID loop worked great. I did lower the proportional bandwidth to 25 degrees just because I wasn't too worried about initial overshoot. The whole cook, it held the temps VERY solid - I think one time I saw a 7 degree swing for a few minutes, but that was probably just a new hunk of lump lighting up. I did not close the damper on the 10CFM fan at all during the cook.
  • I have a bit of an issue with my pit temp showing OPEN *just* long enough to trigger an email alarm and the unit starts beeping an alarm and showing a very high temp for the cook probe on the LCD that requires a keypress to clear. Shortly thereafter, I get another email showing the correct pit temp. Perhaps multiple samples over some interval before triggering an alert is in order if I'm not the only one seeing this?

Overall, I'm very extremely pleased. I checked the temp several times during the night and monitored it very closely the following day with my little toy app and the control was was spot on. I performed no adjustments of the exhaust on my BGE in 18 hours (left the daisy wheel about 1/4 open the whole time). I opened the lid a couple times and had no problems bringing the temp back under control afterwards.

I'm finally going to be able to do overnight smokes AND get a good night's sleep! This is so much better than having a Maverick sitting on the nightstand waking me up in the middle of the night.
fatdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #38
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Had some time today to add a couple more features.

Holy cow!

Turn that into an iPhone app and I'll buy it and the cyberQ

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #39
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Great ideas for ios apps. Looking forward to downloading one or more apps to my iPad and iPhone.

Succeeded in getting my CyberQ WiFi to recognize my household Internet WiFi router. Now I must work on a gateway to access the CyberQ device via the Internet; can't do that yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Certainly would be easier if there were an app with all the good features discussed here, and most important to me and future users - -
download-and-play, no brainier up-and-run!
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

In the above apps, can the food probes be re named by the operator? You might want the first probe to be pork, the second brisket, the third chicken. It might be handy for someone competing.

Will the new cyber wifi support multi food probes ( more than 3)?
Thanks,
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Any idea if this will work for a new braunfels hondo smoker and for andriod
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #42
fatdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
In the above apps, can the food probes be re named by the operator? You might want the first probe to be pork, the second brisket, the third chicken. It might be handy for someone competing.

Thanks,
jon
In the CyberQ you can rename the probes via the web interface. Obtaining the probe names and the cook and probe temperature setpoints is not as simple as obtaining the temperatures for the probes because they are not published in the XML status document. I am currently getting them by download the main UI web page and using regular expressions to extract them from the javascript inside the page - this is one of the changes we'll be asking for if we can get a discussion going with someone at the mother ship.

One cook probe and three food probes is the limit for this hardware. An app author could potentially support multiple CyberQ WiFi units in one interface to allow you to handle multiple pits from one app, but that would be up to the app author.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #43
fatdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_hellraiser View Post
Any idea if this will work for a new braunfels hondo smoker and for andriod
The CyberQ can work with any smoker that you can buy or make an adapter to connect the fan to, as long as the cooker does not require a fan that draws more current than the CyberQ can supply. It looks like fans up to 25CFM are available. Here is the published list, there may be something here that will work for you.
http://www.thebbqguru.com/pages/Recommended-Smoker%7B47%7DGrill-Packages.html

As for working with Android, the web interface works just fine with my Android phone. My particular phone/ROM did not support the AD-HOC network needed for the initial configuration, so I had to use my laptop to get the CyberQ joined to my network. I'm in the middle of developing an android app that I hope will be a little lighter weight than the Web interface and will provide some temperature graphing/trending. No ETA on when I'll have anything good enough to share yet, unfortunately. I'm sure I'm not the only one working on mobile apps though.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
fatdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant968 View Post
Great ideas for ios apps. Looking forward to downloading one or more apps to my iPad and iPhone.

Succeeded in getting my CyberQ WiFi to recognize my household Internet WiFi router. Now I must work on a gateway to access the CyberQ device via the Internet; can't do that yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Certainly would be easier if there were an app with all the good features discussed here, and most important to me and future users - -
download-and-play, no brainier up-and-run!
If you got on the network, the tough part is probably done. If you left the CyberQ configured for DHCP, then the default gateway is set automatically. If not, just enter the IP address of your router.

To access your CyberQ from the internet, you're going to need two things: Your external IP address, and a "Port Forwarding Rule" entered in your router that allows internet traffic to reach your CyberQ.

Obtaining your external IP address is simple - you can just go to a web page such as http://www.whatismyip.com/ and write down your IP address. This is what you will enter in your phone or browser when you're not at home.

Configuring your port forwarding rule is going to be specific to the router that you have, so you'll need to look at your router documentation or help files to see exactly how you need to go about doing it, but the gist of it is this. You want to select an external port that is somewhat of a high, random number that you can remember - maybe your zip code or your dog's birthday or something (let's say 33444 for the sake of this example). The web server on the CyberQ runs on port 80 (the "normal" port for a web server). Let's say your CyberQ is on 192.168.1.110. In your router, you want to forward external port 33444 to the internal address 192.168.1.110 and internal port 80.

Once you've set up the port forwarding rule, you should be able to open a web browser and enter http://<your external address>:<your external port> and see the CyberQ. It is important that you use the colon and external port when you enter the address! Also note that your external IP address may change occasionally.

Some older routers make you use the same external and internal port numbers. If your router is one of those, I would discourage you from making the CyberQ accessible as there is NO authentication so anyone that finds your system can easily mess with your cooker!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #45
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post

Thanks,
jon
Yes they can be named...

Sorry for the delay, my day job is getting in the way. Here is a screen shot of the current version.

I will be traveling during the next few weeks so a release date looks to be June sometime.