MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default Blind taste testing!!

Traditional stick burner vs reverse flow stick burner vs pellet smoker vs ceramic kamado...

https://youtu.be/zxvfIGhs0Dw
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I watched that earlier and it was about how I thought it would turn out. I like his channel

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I watched that earlier and it was about how I thought it would turn out. I like his channel

Memphis Elite

Love his channel too! Love my pooper as well... lol.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I don't watch a lot of bbq videos but I kinda liked this guy. Start at 14:45 if you are impatient. I didn't really think it would be that lopsided the way everyone raves about their pellet cookers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I don't watch a lot of bbq videos but I kinda liked this guy. Start at 14:45 if you are impatient. I didn't really think it would be that lopsided the way everyone raves about their pellet cookers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’d be more surprised if the results were not bent toward stick burners. Having cooked extensively on both, I will be the first to say that in my opinion sticks win! That said, it is also my opinion that if running a super clean fire in a stick burner, that the difference between sticks and pellets is not huge. I have often said that I can easily obtain 90% of the smoke profile my stick burner used to lay down with 10% of the work involved. Reading through the comments from Jeremy’s (Mad Scientist BBQ) video... here is a screenshot of a comment and then Jeremy’s response:

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

My interest keeps getting peaked with pellet cookers. I keep fighting the urge, waiting on some stupid kind of clearance deal at wal-mart on a pit boss or something.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not surprised by the results based on my experience

Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Great video and the results were what I expected.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
CopyNPaste
Knows what a fatty is.

I was actually at this event and tried the meats. To be honest, the different was so small but still noticeable. However, when you factor in the easy of use I personally think pellets win. It really comes down to style/ how much time you have.
CopyNPaste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyNPaste View Post
I was actually at this event and tried the meats. To be honest, the different was so small but still noticeable. However, when you factor in the easy of use I personally think pellets win. It really comes down to style/ how much time you have.
I’m with you here. Unless if I were competing there is no reason for me personally to put in all that work for a taste difference that I’d have to do a side by side comparison to notice.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Should also be noted that the pellet cooker he used is rumored/thought to have the most stick like flavor of them all. I wish I could of been there to try them all and experience the side by side differences myself

Memphis Elite

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I have to concur wit rwalters, I run my stickburner clean and the smoke profile from my Yoder isn't far off.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Should also be noted that the pellet cooker he used is rumored/thought to have the most stick like flavor of them all. I wish I could of been there to try them all and experience the side by side differences myself

Memphis Elite

Is that right? I thought the consensus was that the Maks had the most stickburner-esque flavor profile?
Jcmhc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
I’d be more surprised if the results were not bent toward stick burners. Having cooked extensively on both, I will be the first to say that in my opinion sticks win! That said, it is also my opinion that if running a super clean fire in a stick burner, that the difference between sticks and pellets is not huge. I have often said that I can easily obtain 90% of the smoke profile my stick burner used to lay down with 10% of the work involved. Reading through the comments from Jeremy’s (Mad Scientist BBQ) video... here is a screenshot of a comment and then Jeremy’s response:
For me I would say its like 80% of the flavor with 10% of the "work", but I agree generally. Personally, I like running a fire so I dont necessarily view it as "work" but regardless of what it is, life doesnt always allow me to do it. There was a time I ran my Shirley once or twice a week, and I will be able to do that again someday.

In the meantime I am quite happy with the results my Mak puts out - its "convenience factor" allows me to cook when I otherwise wouldnt have time...but if I am out to cook some people the best barbecue that *I* can, it's happening on the stick burner every time.

Last edited by sudsandswine; 08-21-2019 at 09:13 AM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
For me I would say its like 80% of the flavor with 10% of the "work", but I agree generally. Personally, I like running a fire so I dont necessarily view it as "work" but regardless of what it is, life doesnt always allow me to do it. There was a time I ran my Shirley once or twice a week, and I will be able to do that again someday.

In the meantime I am quite happy with the results my Mak puts out - its "convenience factor" allows me to cook when I otherwise wouldnt have time...but if I am out to cook some people the best barbecue that *I* can, it's happening on the stick burner every time.
Nice summation.