What I know about briskets

My first few tries at brisket were pitiful. I couldn't figure out why everybody raved about brisket. Then I got one right, and now it is my favorite meat to smoke.

Here's the deal. Beef brisket begins to break down at 160 and it begins to dry out severely at 180.
<snip>
Take the brisket slowly to 190

Sorry, but I'm a confused newbie.
If it's severely dry at 180, why cook it to 190??
:confused:

Mista, brisket is the most rewarding cut of meat to Q. Jump right into it and have at it brother. You'll be ok as long if you have the day set aside to cook it.

Yeah Bigmista you betta listen to this guy. LMAO LOL:clap2:

You should really just try and cook one.

As I look at Docs post... is it any wonder my my Church Brisket is phenomenal? I hold it in my food warmer set at 170-180 from about 9, Saturday night until I get in the Church to slice it for the lunches at about 8 the next morning.

I also pull before the flat is tender too.

I will have to admit I do not however get the IT to 190 "slowly." I get maybe 50 or so packers to whenever the flat just begins to relax in about 6 hours. That LOOOOONG ride makes then entirely different animals.

Thanks for once again telling people about CAB briskets.

This is an informative AND hopeful thread. Hearing Bigmista say back then that he'd never even cooked a brisket and now knowing that he's king of the L.A. area Q in encouraging. Gotta love the Brethren!

Just wondering how that brisket experiment worked out for Big Mista. :heh:

Back