Salting Steaks?

Hmmm...I'm a bit skepticle...the few comments that were posted all seemed to say it was too salty. I've been doing lots of steaks for lots of years and have ruined my fair share using the traditional method...but the majority were great! I'll be watching this thread closely for your results. Good luck! :p

That's the salt lick method. I think there are a lot of other posts on here about it too. I've done a couple of steaks this way, most recently a tri-tip last weekend, and they come out great. The key is the time in the salt and rinsing it thoroughly.

I just picked up two 1-1/4" sirloins and am going to try it this afternoon.

i do something like that. only i use Hawaiian sea salt left on for 3 os 4 hours and i don't do any rinsing.. maybe Hawaiian salt isn't as salty i don't know.. never had any steak come out to salty

I do the same thing but not to salt lick point and I don't rinse either....I'll salt and pepper the steak at room temp for approx. 2hrs and onto a hot grill...turns out good for me!

I have tried it twice and it was great. First time a little too salty so I reduced the time the salt was on and it turned out perfectly.

Go for it.....

That's Jaden who wrote the original post. She just got her first Egg this week and I can't wait to see what she starts cooking up because she's a tremendous cook, author, and photographer.

As far as the Gucci steak? I have done this method with ribeyes and it worked great. Like others said, just rinse it off before cooking, just like you would rinse off poultry that had soaked in a brine. This also works great with a whole ribeye roast as I did here: http://nibblemethis.blogspot.com/2009/04/nina-pinta-and-spinach-maria.html

Oh yeah, it helps to use coarse kosher salt vs. plain table salt.

I did a whole ribeye once using the Tyler Florence recipe which included adding prepared horseradish to the mix.
The ribeye was totally covered and cooked in an oven as it was snowing and blowing outside.
It turned out wonderfull, not salty but had a hint of horseradish in the meat.

Im really awaiting your results with your seaks RonL.

I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Turned a cheap 2for1 london broil from something even stewing couldn't help to something quite edible. Not much salt flavor from the treatment at all.

Don't trust the pictures on that site, though. It looks like they're using table salt. You need to use something with larger grains, like kosher salt.

That seems to logical!
Therefore, it has gotta work! :oops:

I have several "Select" Rib Eyes in the freezer and am ready to cook them.

Let us know how it goes.

TIM

I bought two choice New york Strips that are about 1 1/4 inch thick so I'll be trying this this evening. We'll see how it goes.

I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Turned a cheap 2for1 london broil from something even stewing couldn't help to something quite edible. Not much salt flavor from the treatment at all.

Don't trust the pictures on that site, though. It looks like they're using table salt. You need to use something with larger grains, like kosher salt.
:!:
This, but remember...the flat grains of Kosher salt will make it too salty
vs. sea salt...you must rinse thoroughly...

Use 1/3 less Kosher salt than you wpould sea salt...and stay away from
iodizwd anything!

I saw this method used on TV some time back, but they talked about using it on already tough cuts of meat. The chemical reaction draws moisture out and salt in, which breaks down the tissue some.

My dad did a prime rib this way once; he completely encrusted it with salt and baked it in the oven. That sucker was great, but I think I'll only use it on the tough stuff.

Is it Smith and Wolensky that has the salt walls to dry age?

Look forward to the results Ron

I'm the worse at grilling steaks. Last 2 time I tried this method turn out great done it on cheap steaks was very good. Be sure to rinse good, also use a coarse salt or seal salt. Try it on a cheaper steak first.

I'm the worse at grilling steaks. Last 2 time I tried this method turn out great done it on cheap steaks was very good. Be sure to rinse good, also use a coarse salt or seal salt. Try it on a cheaper steak first.

That's why I bought the Choice strips. They were on sale. I normally buy aged Hereford strips at Fresh Market.

BTW, wouldn't seal salt make the steaks taste fishy? :rolleyes:

Back