MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Default help with trailer build

I am looking for some insight on the types of material that can be used as counter top / prep table in a trailer build. I know I have to have the three bay sink installed what are some other standard requirements for a vending/catering/ bbq comp trailer?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

start with the local health dept. Generally stainless for counter tops is good. The real key is everything should be NSF approved. Hand sink, approved water system. A lot depends on what you want to vend. If you want a fryer then you need hood vents with appropriate CFM's and a fire surpression system. Just having a 3 bay sink isn't enough. They measure the sinks to calculate if your hot water heater has the capacity. Be prepared to upgrade.

Best bet is work with the HD on a plan before starting anything. Pick out equipment and before buying get the specs to the HD especially hot water. And that's just the start. If you are cooperative with the HD they generally will work with you and help. If you piss them off then it's a real long road.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I guess i'll answer your PM here....

I used 3/4" melamine panels for my whole build. These panels are available at Home Depot. Already have a white washable finish and come in 2' x 8' panels.

By imn88fan

Water system is all available at a camper parts store.
32 gallon fresh water, 40 gallon waste water, 2.8 GPM water pump and a couple 4 gallon hot water tanks. 1 for hand wash and 1 for 3 bay sink.

By imn88fan

By imn88fan

If you have any plans to vend and aquire a permit, you MUST submit a plan review to your local HD BEFORE you do any build. Don't waste your time putting something together and hope they'll approve it.

Good luck and keep the questions coming!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post

Best bet is work with the HD on a plan before starting anything. Pick out equipment and before buying get the specs to the HD especially hot water. And that's just the start. If you are cooperative with the HD they generally will work with you and help. If you piss them off then it's a real long road.
THIS i can attest to.....
#detroitporkmafia

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Bubba, I am working on the plan with the HD now, I am awaiting their packet of info they have i am planning on loading the smokers in the trailer when not in use. I wasnt trying to rush you to answer, i am just really anxious to get this build going. I am wanting to do something like you were with the roadside vending (actually you and the Boonhaugler thread sparked my interest) What type of refridgerator do you have in yours?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Has to be a commercial NSF approved fridge. Ford and i have this unit...

Restaurant Equippers sometimes has scratch n dent models.
#detroitporkmafia

Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Good news, I went to the HD today, and we discussed all the options i had for this build, we even put together a parts list and some what of a lay out for the trailer. Now i have to finalize the design and submit a formal document with the information (which we wrote at the HD) to get final approval.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
FourEyes45
Knows what a fatty is.

This has been a great read......Im looking for a trailer for comps. and benefits...
FourEyes45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Agreed!! talk to them first, even if you have a design in mind. I ask this of all my customers. Then we take their drawing, quote the trailer and then do a CAD drawing for the customer and HD to signoff on again. This way everybody is covered and happy. Then we start the build once the approved drawings are sent in.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
Thanks Bubba, I am working on the plan with the HD now, I am awaiting their packet of info they have i am planning on loading the smokers in the trailer when not in use. I wasnt trying to rush you to answer, i am just really anxious to get this build going. I am wanting to do something like you were with the roadside vending (actually you and the Boonhaugler thread sparked my interest) What type of refridgerator do you have in yours?

Indianagriller,

If you have any questions in regards to a build,feel free to give me a shout if you like. I'd be glad to provide you a quote or help in anyway I can.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote