Thermapen calibration

sitnfat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I threw a few yardbirds on the UDS this evening to cook for a roadtrip. I put the DigiQ probe in one and let it go as it got close to being done I checked the other two with my pen the one I use at comps. The temp was a lot different than the DigiQ so I boiled a pot of water and it's off about 14 degrees. Is there any way to calibrate this thing. I don't need it lying to me when there is money on the line. :tsk:

you need to be a bit destructive in order to do it. i'll try and dig up a link here...

They suggest using the ice water method to test. You can send it back to them to have it re-certified.

Here are the DIY instructions:

33cnm88.jpg

I have a Thermapen, and for what it cost me, I would expect them to calibrate it or replace it if mine ever got off by 14 degrees. And, I don't compete.

Have you talked to them about this problem?

I would expect a $19.99 WalMart thermometer to be off. But, I expect Thermapen to go the extra mile for a product that costs as much as theirs does.

If you are a competition smoker, I would expect them to be even more interested in your satisfaction -- although they should be all about customer satisfaction for backyard smokers, too, considering their price point.

CD

I have not called them I will tomorrow thanks for all the input this is a tool i do not need malfunctioning

Thermapen is way overpriced, i have an acu-rite from Walmart paid $7-8 works fine, have had it 4+ years, very easy to calibrate if need be. Will put it up against any thermapen.

Back