Prepping ATBs etc the day before

tweek

Reaction score
I think it is probably a stupid question but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Is there any reason why I couldn't prep the ATBs and MOINK balls the day before a bbq?

I would obviously cover them and keep them in the fridge, I assume this would be safe.

That is what I figured but just wanted to be safe considering this will be my first cook for a party I am throwing on saturday.

I will be doing the pulled pork and chickens on friday and will have plenty of time to prep as much of the other things as I can

Thanks for the quick reply.

I found that when prepping ABTs an overnight stay on a cookie sheet in the fridge helped the bacon "set" better (it was at room temp when I wrappped it around the pepper) and eliminated the need to use toothpicks to hold it together.

YMMV

I found that when prepping ABTs an overnight stay on a cookie sheet in the fridge helped the bacon "set" better (it was at room temp when I wrappped it around the pepper) and eliminated the need to use toothpicks to hold it together.

YMMV

Yeah....I've even prepped ABT's and PIGGLEs on the Thursday night before a camping weekend, and didn't get all of them cooked over the weekend (RAINED ALL DAY ON SAT). Ended up cooking the rest on Tuesday and they were still damn good. The PIGGLEs were a little softer and not as crunchy, but the ABT's were fine. I agree with the whole "bacon setting" thing on this too. I didn't need toothpicks. The bacon was nice and cold so it stuck together long enough for the heat to make it seal up nicely.

GOOD LUCK!!

No stupid questions around here. Life is busy, fit in prep whenever you can. I usually prep the night before. Gets in the box earlier.

You just opened a big can o......

Jalapeno Pepper stuffed with Cream Cheese, a little smoky sausage, then wrapped in bacon and smoked for 2 1/2 hours. :)

AKA: Atomic Buffalo Turd

That is one variation :biggrin:

I personally use japs stuffed with crab and cream cheese with a dash or two of soy sauce and then wrapped in bacon. YMMV

I agree anything you can prep before cook day Do it. You never know whats gonna pop up and mess you up.

Tuck

I too am curious about the piggle.

I have another question.
Could you make them up in advance and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then put in a bag in the freezer, thaw on a cookie sheet and cook later? I was thinking this way i could make a lot when the peppers i like are in season and have them year round.

Back