MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
pull_my_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Kingsford: Really more burn time?

Ya'll know how the Kingsford bags advertise as more bbq time per pound right? Well, I've been doing some experiments. I don't think it burns any longer than the lump charcoal I use. By the time the briquettes ash over, they've lost so much size already.

I was going to start using briquettes for bbq and lump for grilling but I guess it really doesn't make a difference in burn time. Plus, briquettes are so damn ashy.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
crimsonaudio
On the road to being a farker

I get longer burn time from Stubbs (I get it at Lowes). I've not timed it out, but I can do an ~18 hour smoke with Stubbs and not have to add new fuel, whereas with Kingsford I have to add more fuel.
crimsonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's called marketing......

I get longer and hotter burns from lump than I do from briquettes. Lump also produces much less ash.

Not all charcoals are created equal, so it is a matter of personal choice as to what meets your needs.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I get more BTU's out of lump than kingsford. It starts up twice as fast as well. Burns much hotter. Goes out easier (when you snuff it). Produces 1/10th the amount of ash as charcoal briquettes. Only problem is the size isn't uniform like briquettes so you can get pockets of air between the lump which causes temp instability.. so you have to pack it well.

I like that kingsford blue is more popular than lump charcoal, this keeps the lump charcoal prices down.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I have converted to stubbs and lump only. I also get better burn time out of stubbs. I used Kingsford for about 6 to 8 years so I can compare from experience. So for what it's worth IMHO no you don't get any longer burn from Kingsford.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I exclusively use lump in all my cookers except the PBC. Though I used lump in the PBC seems like it does better with briqs. For briqs in the PBC I use Stubbs. Its great stuff and natural. I even gave Kingsford comp a try and didnt like it at all.

I mainly use the new Cowboy lump, Royal Oak for low and slow, Mesquite lump for open pit grilling (burns really hot) and Stubbs in the barrell.

Recently picked up Coconut shell briqs that Lowes started to carry but havent tried it yet. Its all natural again and suppossed to burn the hottest and pretty long.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Recently picked up Coconut shell briqs that Lowes started to carry but havent tried it yet. Its all natural again and suppossed to burn the hottest and pretty long.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to try these but just didn't know much about them. When you try them could you post how they worked for you? Sorry for the hijack

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillinguy247 View Post
Recently picked up Coconut shell briqs that Lowes started to carry but havent tried it yet. Its all natural again and suppossed to burn the hottest and pretty long.
I've been wanting to try these but just didn't know much about them. When you try them could you post how they worked for you? Sorry for the hijack[/QUOTE]

Def will. Hooefully tomorrow.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...ngsfordnew.htm

Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

In my WSM I do get longer burns with Kingsford. Obviously, there's a lot more ash as well, but the burn times are not even close for me.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
+1 Great site
JENAIR GASSER
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
Bludawg

I run almost all lump I get briquettes from HEB for the snake in the kettle and starting the Lump in the UDS

Old 01-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
Jason TQ

In all of my cookers KBB definitely burns longer. I haven't done a scientific time comparison, but I know because I have to reload with lump on longer cooks. I don't reload with KBB.

Not sure what type of cooker you are using.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

For the price its hard to beat Kingsford charcoal. Lump is ok but way overrated imho. If i want smoke flavor i use real wood not lump, no telling what type of wood is used in lump.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

KBB with my stoker and let it ride.