MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
aawa
Babbling Farker

I have a pair of the pvc coated gloves. If i didnt receive mine free from Simply Marvelous order, i would of gotten them from homedepot or harbor freight. They are the same thing as Steve Raichlen gloves without the marketting name.

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have a pair of them and like them. Do not mistake them for oven mitts. Pick up something hot enough and they will melt. For handling food they are fine.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I have a pair of them and like them. Do not mistake them for oven mitts. Pick up something hot enough and they will melt. For handling food they are fine.
Oh I know, you'd have to be a dumby to think these things replace oven mitts

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I have them and use them for pulling meat from the WSM to foil and finish. Perfect for pulling pork.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have these to test, but if slickness and staining are a problem, could you slide a pair of latex food handling gloves over the top? I feel like I've seen people do that over the Ov Gloves, but maybe these are too bulky.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
I don't have these to test, but if slickness and staining are a problem, could you slide a pair of latex food handling gloves over the top? I feel like I've seen people do that over the Ov Gloves, but maybe these are too bulky.
Might be a tight fit.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
Oh I know, you'd have to be a dumby to think these things replace oven mitts
Thanks Chis!

Dumby here (I guess.)

I thought that since silicone handles high heat well that these would. They don't
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Brown cotton work gloves, the real cheapies, with a pair on Nitrile gloves over them. Works really well for me.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Brown cotton work gloves, the real cheapies, with a pair on Nitrile gloves over them. Works really well for me.
^^^ +1 to this.

Cheap and easy to replace if they get dirty. Harbor Freight has the nitrile gloves in different thicknesses (3 mil, 5 mil, & up to 8mil, IIRC) that work great with either brown cotton gloves or these knit cotton gloves:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pairs...ves-46992.html

Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
HTGGUY
Knows what a fatty is.

I got mine at harbor fright, a lot less and work fine
HTGGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
rtc
Got Wood.

I bought a 12-pack of gloves for $35 at Amazon. They are perfect for pulling pork, food handling, etc. They're also great for lots of other uses as well.

rtc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

I have a pair & they are good for handling hot, large pieces of meat. Pulling pork with them is a pain. They get very slick quick & are not very flexible, IMHO. Also, you better clean them good right away. They will mildew & stain.

I go with along with smokin d & tnjimbob. Cheap cotton work gloves under a pair of nitrile gloves is a lot better for pulling.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

If you're near the water, you can find insulated crabbing gloves that work just as well (if not better if you can find some that are textured) for a much better price. When I lived in VA, that's all I used.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I have a pair that got all mildewy and nasty inside after a road trip home from a comp- I bleached them but they still look like hell!

Save your money for MEAT and get these instead!

http://www.homedepot.com/Cleaning/h_...1#.UOxPlI75jaI

OR

http://www.homedepot.com/Cleaning/h_...1#.UOxQGY75jaI

^^^Yup, I've used the 2nd pair for several years and they work great! I've noticed that they do eventually kinda harden up and are less flexible, but heck at that price if I get a year out of them we're good!

I usually get the smallest ones I can that still fit, I loose a bit of insulation that way, but gain dexterity, well worth it! A pair of nitrile gloves inside these gloves makes them slide off a lot easier too!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
Kevin_Texas
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I have them. The thing I don't like is that they are too slick. Hard to grab fat when pulling a pork butt.
Same here...
[URL="http://www.crcbbq.com"]www.crcbbq.com[/URL]
Like us on FB CRC BBQ
Kevin_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote