MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
wishinfishin
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Internal Rib Temp??

What temp is "done" 165?, hotter? cooler?. Does anybody ever probe the meat in between the bones. What temp is too high? What temp are the ribs juiciest? Dry? Any input is better than none. Thanks in advance!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000]Pit by Jambo (Jamie Geer) 5'x25" mfg date 2005.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
wishinfishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

I think ribs are done when they look and feel right as opposed to some certain internal temperature. I check for the flexibility of the rack, the force needed to separate individual ribs, rebound (springiness) to pressing on the meat and the amount of pull-back on the bone. I find that with the exception of pork butt, prime rib and chicken (this list is not ment to be all inclusive), temperature does not give a good indication of when ribs (or brisket for that matter) are done.

Live every week like it's shark week

Last edited by RichardF; 07-19-2006 at 02:33 PM..
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree with Richard... there's not enough meat to get a good temp without being close to bone... I go by look and feel.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Anymore I can look at them and see if their done.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I do not check rib temp, but there are people who do.
The temp I hear most is 200 degrees.

But, this is one of those things you can ask and get a thousand conflicting ideas.
What ya need to do is try it--stick a probe in there and see what happens.

They will be good eats no matter how you measure doneness, so make up your own mind

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

From the transcript of the "Pork Fiction" Episode of Good Eats:
Quote:
The sensuous unctuousness that compels us to lick our fingers when rib eating comes from a power deep within the ribs themselves. Gelatin.
From the "Q" episode of Good Eats:
Quote:
Why? Well, you have to remember, we're not just cooking this meat to doneness, okay, like you might a roast or a steak. We're cooking it to tenderness, and that is a very different thing, indeed. Let's say for a minute that these noodles are muscle strands inside our pork shoulder, and gelatin is the connective tissue that holds it together. Now if we just cook this to, say, 145 degrees the way you might a pork roast it would be done and edible technically. But see, this connective tissue would not have begun to dissolve. In other words, it would be tough. If, however, we were to slowly bring this whole mass up to 200 degrees and keep it there for a while, the collagen would dissolve.

At this stage of the game, the muscle fibers themselves are relatively dry because they're overcooked. But the eater isn't going to notice, because the strands are nicely lubricated with lip-smackin' gelatin. And since this process takes awhile, it's nice and smoky-tasting, too. How long are we talking about? Well, depending on the exact size and shape of your shoulder and the exact temperature inside your smoker, we're talking anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. Yeah, I said it was good eats, I didn't say it was fast eats.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I pick up the rack at one end and when the rack bends beyond 45* they are usually done.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
wishinfishin
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Bro's. I have to keep on keeping on!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000]Pit by Jambo (Jamie Geer) 5'x25" mfg date 2005.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
wishinfishin is offline   Reply With Quote